If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Apple killing off the iPod Classic

edited 2011-09-29 08:59:59 in Meatspace
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
So that they can make people use cloud-based streaming services instead.

You know, I've never been a fan of opposing technology trends, but cloud services just rub me the wrong way.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'll support cloud services when Internet access is as reliable as electricity is now.
  • edited 2011-09-29 10:04:23
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Also when it does require surrendering control of your shit to third-party sources.

Or require ownership of a credit card and every bad thing that this entails.
  • edited 2011-09-29 10:05:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, "support" was probably a less accurate term for how I feel than "admit that it might be viable."

Honestly, I don't see why I'd ever use it when I can get a terabyte, AKA more space than I would ever use, for around sixty bucks.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    You mean an iPod Classic, or Spotify?

Because a portable drive doesn't really have a music player or headphone jack built in...
    My point is more that cloud computing as a whole is often described by its supporters as a solution to some storage problem that they seem to think exists.
  • edited 2011-09-29 10:54:17
    [tɕagɛn]
    That's the point, INUH.

We don't need cloud storage. Therefore, its proponents must manufacture a "need" for it. Apple pretty much just has to say that we need cloud storage and the masses will accept that as true.

Any people who think we don't need it, will just commit doublethink.
  • $80+ per session
    Yeah, because Apple is the only manufacturer of MP3 players and computers in the world.
  • It is the most popular. It resides in the public image very heavily. They have a ton of influence.
  • edited 2011-09-29 10:55:37
    No rainbow star
    ^^ It does hold power over a lot of people though, annoyingly enough

God damn trend followers

Edit: Ninja'd by Chagen
  • Any one who thinks that Apple could force the cloud upon america is fooling themselves. There are serious technical issues which prevents the mass adoption of the cloud.
    I'm kinda hoping the lack of Steve Jobs will kill off Apple. If any company ever needed to die, it's De Beers. If any other company ever needed to die, it's Apple.
  • But then my Ipod is useless.

I cannot deny that the Ipod Touch is an extremely versatile device.
  • edited 2011-09-29 11:12:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It doesn't need Apple to function.

And there are products that do the same thing, better, cheaper.
  • $80+ per session
    Smart Phones by other companies are far better.
  • INUH: There's no way to add music without Itunes (something Ifind dumb, but it's there).

Vivi: The Ipod Touch is not an Iphone. I don't know why everyone keeps thinking they're the same.
    Sure there is. Just jailbreak it.

And iTunes won't suddenly vanish from your hard drive if Apple dies.
  • $80+ per session
    What I'm saying is, there are better and cheaper devices that the iPod Touch that have the same function.