If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Taking "quirky" things seriously

AHRAHR
edited 2011-09-24 17:15:30 in General
IJBM.

Has this every happened to anyone else? Where you've said or done something that was not-quite-a-joke, but still meant to just be amusing, and got interpreted to be serious, or have people react to the element as if it was serious?

Bleh. Bugs the hell out of me.

Especially since I've realized that this is my main sense of humor when writing. Makes it awkward to explain things to people, for sure.

Comments

• edited 2011-09-24 17:25:20
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    There was a Troper Tale about someone going on a rant about the whole "who's wearing the pants in the relationship" joke.

Man, I wish I could find that.

EDIT: Oh wait, DID find it.

If I'm ever asked, "Who's the guy and who's the girl?" while in a
    same-sex relationship, I'm just going to say, "Yes, " because that's
    pretty much like asking which chopstick is supposed to be the fork and
    which is supposed to be the spoon. It's heteronormative
    wishful thinking that all couples should conform to Western
    Judeo-Christian gender roles in a romantic relationship. One partner
    might be more dominant or more submissive, one might be more masculine
    or more feminine, but that does NOT mean one is going to be "the guy"
    and one is "the girl".

• No rainbow star
    ^ Guess he wasn't the one wearing the pants
  • Ahahahah. Ahhhh. Yeah. You know, someone should tell him it ain't just "Western Judeo-Christian gender roles" that think of it in those terms. The originators of homosexuality were all about it too. 

But me being a needless wise ass aside...
  • edited 2011-09-24 18:32:21
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I don't like that. :l

And then I feel like an ass if I say something like "Don't take it too seriously" because SotiCoto used to say things like that like every post, and I associate it with him now, only he meant it in more of a "license to be an asshole" way than "It's not what I actually believe, I didn't mean to offend."
  • I hate when that happens. It nearly killed Dresden Codak for me, because someone kept quoting it incessantly, that when I did read it, it was like hearing him in my ear the entire time.

OK, that's a tad different.