If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I occasionally attempt to start posting in OTC.

edited 2011-09-20 19:16:51 in Webspace
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
Why the fuck do I keep doing this?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    because you hate yourself.
  • TV Tropes is the most addictive thing ever created on the internet.
    With all the good and bad things that entails.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    If you have an urge to go to OTC go to Yack Fest.

Okay, bad example. But you get my point.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Lack of pattern recognition?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    errbody hatin'
    And we gonna keep on doing it.

It's almost as if haters were gonna be predestined to do something

can't guess what
  • (sigh) Just what is so bad about OTC? It occasionally has very intelligent conversations, which is more than can be said about the rest of the net
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It tends to deal with subjects that bring out stupidity in people.

If you've had intelligent discussions there, more power to ya, but I've yet to see evidence of such.
  • edited 2011-09-21 01:30:58
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^You're an OTC regular, so you're probably used to it. But the reasons why it's bad:

1) From that survey, it's pretty obviously a liberal circle-jerk.

2) Several people, have quite frankly, very disturbing opinions and political agendas.

3) It's about as intelligent as any politics/current events board on an internet forum, i.e. not at all.
  • Pardon the ignorant, but what's OTC?
  • They're somethin' else.
    On Topic Conversations.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    (sigh) Just what is so bad about OTC? It occasionally has very intelligent conversations, which is more than can be said about the rest of the net

It has about discussions about as intelligently as most of the rest of the net. It's actually below the bar there.
  • Ahh I see now. Thanks.
  • edited 2011-09-21 09:01:01
    You can change. You can.
    (sigh) Just what is so bad about OTC?

Moderation is relatively weak. Specially as there are a lot of problem users in that area. There are a lot of problem users in that area. You do the math.

It occasionally has very intelligent conversations

very few times, because for every Justice and Wicked, there's two Signeds and a Deuxheros. Not to mention that a lot of arguments and discussions are based in fallacies, exaggerations, misconceptions, etc etc

which is more than can be said about the rest of the net

What's your sample pool? How many sites have you tried debating on before saying this?

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    pretty obviously a liberal circle-jerk.

Isn't this the case for, well, most of the Internet?
    I'd say that OTC has far more conservatives than most internets debating sites, alright.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-21 08:58:04
    I went on OTC once, recently.

It kinda scared me.

Mostly because I spent a good deal of effort arguing something with this guy, he conceded, and then two or three other people came on with the exact same argument, ignoring the discussion that just happened (this was all on the first page).
  • It's funny that OTC is charged with being a liberal circlejerk, when most of the individuals that are brought up for mockery on other sites are either conservatives or libertarians.
  • I used to enjoy it, although I agree that there was probably an overall liberal bias and those who did identify as conservatives tended to be pretty extreme (by British standards - hence the mockery, I suspect). There aren't many of what you might call the mainstream Right, perhaps because that's typically the sort of political stance of an older person and TVT is mostly teenagers/twentysomethings.

Also, there was a lot of grand-standing by attention-seeking nutters. But then that's the Internet all over...

• Inside, too dark to read
    @Elbeem: Something Awful may be further left than TVTropes. Many nerd sites are (if you want a real circle jerk, check out the comics blog Scans Daily).
  • @Rott: I was just amused by how OTC is somehow simultaneously too liberal and too conservative all at the same time, if the critics are to be believed.
  • Elbeem - Weirdly, there is some truth in this. You get all the liberals circle-jerking away and then Rott or Major Tom or someone decides this is unbearable and comes in, and before you know it, everyone is ramping up their liberalism or conservatism in response.

Not unknown in real-life political debate, of course - people drive each other to extremes.

• Not to mention that a lot of arguments and discussions are based in fallacies, exaggerations, misconceptions, etc etc

Don't forget good old-fashioned

i shouldn't have laughed at such a simple joke

but the accuracy, bro

the accuracy
  • I went on OTC once. A guy who was either a troll or very stupid had made a thread that pretty much said the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is on the level of 9/11. 

I had no words.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    OTC has about the same level of sensibility as the rest of the internet, with albeit a slightly higher level of intelligence.

So you shouldn't go there for, like, PBS News Hour expert interview quality discussions.

You should expect this to be a place for those people to actually hash out, type out, and argue out those little disputes that occur very frequently in the comments of political Youtube videos.
  • edited 2011-09-21 19:26:27
    Loser
    Aside from some of the other stuff that has been pointed out, I think one issue with OTC is that it is too prone to heated arguments where people need to "take a side" so-to-speak. I feel like casual, friendly conversations are kind of discouraged there as people are pressured to be more serious. While I can appreciate the importance of serious, non-derailing discussions, I believe that OTC too often drifts into "being serious or adult/talking about important issues=being confrontational and partisan."

That being said, I do think there are valuable conversations in OTC from time to time, I just personally dislike the atmosphere that I see there.
  • edited 2011-09-21 19:25:10
    ^ I agree. I don't have a problem with the biases and stupid behavior that go on there, that's inherent in any forum, it's just the mood in general. It's like the old IJBM if you couldn't shitpost.
  • And it could certainly do with people laying off the "atheism v. religion" threads. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME THREAD, DAMN IT. And even less likely to reach any sort of  consensus than the average discussion.