If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The latest dA poll

edited 2011-09-18 15:50:58 in Webspace

When someone critiques your art, you...

66%
31,955 deviants said Read it carefully and humbly strive to be better next time

12%
6,030 deviants said Disbelieve most of it, but maybe work on one part of it that you were considering a weakness anyway

11%
5,252 deviants said Judge its effectiveness after looking through their faves

6%
2,847 deviants said Other (please comment)

5%
2,388 deviants said Run out of the room and slam the door

(48,460 votes)

I feel super cynical and mean for thinking that a lot of people lied.

Comments

• Actually, given that this is DA, it's probably good to assume that, yes, they did lie.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    That's not cynical. Just realist. I like getting critiques because I always assume my work is shit.
  • I think it's more an issue of knowing how you should react in theory compared to how you actually react in such a situation. It's easier to say you can be accepting of criticism than to actually accept criticism when it comes up.

• I think, at the very least, they think that it's true. 
    People in creative endeavors tend to be really good at self-deception, though.
  • Just creative endeavours? (ex. any political ideology ever)
    Well I singled them out because of the discussion but point made.
  • edited 2011-09-18 16:17:10
    ^^^^ & ^^^^^: I'm pretty sure it's some combination of these two points, yeah.

For the record, I chose option 2 since it's close, though I guess I really should've chosen "other". I check and see if the person pointed out a flaw I already knew was there just so I know we're on a similar wavelength, and then try to determine from there if they're critiquing or just listening to themselves talk.

But I generally steer away from dA for input anyway.