If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GLaDOS

edited 2011-09-18 13:21:12 in Wonderful posts
No rainbow star
I'm just wondering how people thought making a de-icing machine control so much was a GOOD idea? Or is there something in Portal 2 that explains this? [/can'tplayPortal2duetocrapcomputer]

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, Portal 2 reveals that she's the mind of Cave Johnson's assistant, and that he left the facility to her.
  • edited 2011-09-18 13:53:16
    No rainbow star
    ...Then WHY would they put her mind in a de-icing machine!? At least it explains the, "One day they woke me up so I could live forever" line...
    I wasn't even aware that she was a de-icing machine. Where's that brought up?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ First Portal. Do some looking around when you escape and you find stuff on a de-icing machine in a room with a projector. And unless I am misrembering, it is heavily implied that GLaDOS is one
  • edited 2011-09-18 14:04:13
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I haven't played it either but apparently the founder of Aperture Science wanted his mind to be uploaded into a computer (GLaDOS) so he could run AS for the eternity. He also asked his workers that,if the technology wasn't able of that by the moment of his death to upload his secretary Caroline's mind instead. She was against this,and it shows,because you know,she killed everyone with a neurotoxin.

Again, I haven't played 2 so I don't know how much of this is right
    Well, Portal 2 most likely invalidates that, then.

Bear in mind that in the first game, plot wasn't really supposed to be that big of a deal.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Not finding anybody saying GLaDOS isn't one. Care to state where the contradiction is?
  • edited 2011-09-18 14:17:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, she seems to have been put in a computer specifically for the purpose of running the facility, so that wouldn't make any sense at all.

That said, I'm not sure the two games even had the same writing staff.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ They gave her an Anger core and gave her the ability to kill them all easily. Do you REALLY think that Aperture Science was entirely sane?
    Fair point.
  • edited 2011-09-18 14:22:38
    No rainbow star
    Actually, that also answers my question in the original post
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Can it be Portal discussion time?

I feel kind of bad for Wheatley I mean, the poor guy was more stupid than evil, and he just ends up in space with the Space Core for the rest of his life. GLaDOS' body made him malfunction,and most of the wrong things he did were done out of stupidity. His most evil moment is when he tells you to not pay attention to the Different Turret
  • Portal 2 kind of retcons most of the information involving Aperture Science and GLaDOS.

It was never a shower curtain company, for instance.