If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Tropes "It Was His Sled" and "All There Is To Know About The Crying Game".

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Oh wait, I remember it now.I just can't remember the lines.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:09:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I love how I make an innocent thread and all you guys do is mock me.
    Well, if you run across a thread in which that actually happens, inform me. In this thread, I just see people not agreeing with you.
  • "Because it's constantly parodied and referenced everywhere to the point it's considered normal to know."

Stop using circular logic and actually answer the question.

• Cygs: Yeah, me neither.

Something like

"You come t othe eve of my brother's wedding, asking for a favor?"

Something like that...
  • Because

A:It's the start of the movie, and even people who haven't sat through the whole thing will know it

B: It's a cool scene

I thought you were talking about the "horse's head in a bed" scene, which is also early on.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:13:10
    You can change. You can.
    That scene is parodied so often because it's iconic. It's the whole character of Don Corleone in one scene. Also, it's Marlon Brando return to acting after being exiled from hollywood for being a filthy communist, which makes the irony funnier.

^ That too, I suppose.

Then again, as Matt Groening said, "You can pretty much rewatch the Godfather with sitcom scenes by now"
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Stop using circular logic and actually answer the question.

No, seriously. It's goddamned self-explanatory.

It's constantly parodied and referenced everywhere. I barely watch anything and I've still seen it parodied multiple times.

you're expected to know this because it happens all the goddamned time.

"Luke, I am your father." and "NOOOOOOOO" are parodied just that much.
  • Yeah, really iconic scenes like the shower in Psycho and "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" get referenced a lot too.
  • The wicked witch has been too. I think because of her hamminess.
  • You can change. You can.
    Also, who's the murderer in Psycho. And Rear Window, too. 

North By Northwest too. Hell, the whole Hitchcok catalogue is pretty much the backspine of popular culture. 
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:16:18
    Cygs: Yeah, me neither.

Something like

"You come t othe eve of my brother's wedding, asking for a favor?"

Something like that...
    I think the line you're referring to is:

I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, you
    made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of
    law. So you didn't need a friend like me. Now you come and say "Don
    Corleone, give me justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't
    offer friendship. You don't even think to call me "Godfather." You come
    into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to
    do murder - for money.

Of course, the scene itself is a lot bigger, so you might be referring to one of the other lines. It's been a while since I saw the movie.

Fucking love that movie.
    Really iconic scenes. That's the word, Myrmidon. Thanks.
    Of course, the scene itself is a lot bigger, so you might be referring to one of the other lines. It's been a while since I saw the movie.

It's that last little bit.
  • Yes. That scene.

Wow, I really misquoted it.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:18:32

Though you still have to see the original movie to get the parody. I thought the shower scene parodies were just typical horror parody at first.

"I love how I make an innocent thread and all you guys do is mock me."

The one time GLORIOUSLeader tried to restrain himself....

• I've seen multiple Hitchcock movies, but the only ones I really remember are Psycho and Vertigo.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:20:43
    ^^^ I think it's probably one of the larger cases of Beam Me Up Scotty (hate to use the Trope rather than describing it, but I'm a lazy fucker) around. Iconic scene, but it's a fairly long one, so people tend to misquote it.

Hard to misquote "I made him an offer he can't refuse" though.
  • "The one time GLORIOUSLeader tried to restrain himself...."

It's not that.

It's how everyone is going "Well, you're supposed to know.....because you're supposed to".

That's not an answer. That's using circular logic to shut down the argument.
  • Now I want to make a snowclone about the bible.

HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW JOB WAS PRONOUNCED YOBE, HUH?
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:23:36
    ^^ No.  Everyone is saying you're supposed to know these things because they get referenced in like every single goddamn movie ever made.
    No. I told you why. It's because it's parodied practically everywhere. Full stop, the end. It's quoted left, right and centre, to the point-

No, DYRE said it better.

Anyway, Chagen's back and it looks like he's getting angry again so

• "^^ No.  Everyone is saying you're supposed to know these things because they get referenced in like every single goddamn movie ever made."

No.

I do know these parodies. But not where they come from (or if they came from anything at all).
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:26:26
    You can know about some of these things without knowing where they're from. Like, I bet a bunch of people don't remember that "You talkin' to me?" is from Taxi Driver.

Ninja'd
    Then, I am afraid, you are the odd one out.
  • GODDAMNIT CYGAN

I SHOW YOU THAT GIF AND YOU STAB ME IN THE BACK AND USE IT BEFORE I CAN

I'M NOT FORGETTING THIS
    Like, I bet a bunch of people don't remember that "You talkin' to me?" is from Taxi Driver.

I did =D
  • That's from Taxi Driver? 

Huh.
    Yes, I did just want to use that GIF >_>
  • Actually, you guys completely misread my argument.

I'm not talking about the parodies. I'm talking about when people bring up the specfic spoilers from the movies themselves and expect me to know them.