If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What defines truth?

LaiLai
edited 2011-09-08 17:58:19 in General
And no the answer isn't "Whatever I say."

I mean it as in how do we as people decide what truth is and what is its value in our society as a whole.

Is it possible that we can never reach the truth as we muddle it with our own personal bias and views? Too many people I've seen claim that all of their views are the truth and others are too stupid to see otherwise.

Comments

• Truth is whatever can be objectively seen to be correct.

That's my answer at least.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Truth is supposedly in the eye of the beholder. But since one of the other eyes has a paralysis beam I've been too scared to get close.

Serious answer, personally I think "truth" is whatever stays constant despite perception. If you hold an apple in the air and let it go, it falls. This happens no matter who does it, when or why. So "apples fall unless something stops them from falling" is truth. The problem is that most science and philosophy deals with stuff more complicated than that, so its harder to pin down. Mostly though, truth should be whatever has the most benefit for society--if we as a people become stronger because we work out more often, then it should become truth that exercise is healthy. Though, I think I just gave myself a brain anneurism.
  • Something is true if it corresponds to reality.

How do you know what reality is like? Well, you don't know for certain.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-09-08 18:00:24

Yeah, what ^ and ^^ said.