If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

my laptop

edited 2011-09-02 00:19:43 in General
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
Aside from being incredibly outdated, prone to sudden slowness, and being generally pretty crap, it also has this problem.

Sometimes, whenever I'm doing anything more complex than browsing the fora (and sometimes even then), it... shuts off. As in, "the power cuts off completely, do not shut off safely, do not pass go etc." I'm not entirely sure why this happens, but....

It bugs me.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Overheating?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    That's supposedly the reason, though elevating it with books and stuff doesn't do anything.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's because laptops have really shitty cooling systems.

But to do it even when you're browsing the web...are you by any chance using Firefox?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Nope, Chrome.
  • You can change. You can.
    Get a cooling station?

Put it near a fan?
    had a cooling station, broke it, parents won't buy a new one.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Maybe it can handle Off By One?
    I think Chrome is doing pretty well actually, it just sometimes shuts off while I'm reading if I did something intensive just before.
  • If its over a year old, make sure the vents and fans are not clogged.
  • I used to have that problem, too. Try to set a limit for the processor's performance somewhere in the energy options, that worked for me.
  • My laptop is prone to suddenly deciding that Internet Explorer needs to shut down. I don't know if that's got anything to do with overheating.

Also, when I read the thread title, my first thought was of that song Milkshake with the "My milkshake" lyrics replaced with "My laptop..." You needed to know this.

• No rainbow star
    My laptop is prone to suddenly deciding that Internet Explorer needs to shut down. I don't know if that's got anything to do with overheating.

It means you have a smart laptop >.> <.<