If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This Writing Project

edited 2011-09-01 13:36:18 in Webspace
$80+ per session
I have to do a big project on literary criticism. It can be about "any piece of classic literature I want, preferably one I haven't read yet. And I'm going to live and breath this book for two months"

Suggestions?

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Finnegan's Wake.
  • $80+ per session
    Seems like it might be hard to read.
  • You can change. You can.
    Watchmen. 

Break boundaries.
  • $80+ per session
    "Classic Literature"?
  • If you go into Finnegan's Wake with the right mindset, you'll be laughing your ass off as you read it.
  • $80+ per session
    I looked it up. I added to the small list of possible choices along with Lolita and Huckleberry Finn.
  • edited 2011-09-01 14:06:39
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Would Watership Down count? It's the only remotely well-known "literary" piece I've read in some time and I enjoyed reading it. You could probably make a project out of it.
  • $80+ per session
    Oooh, that's another good choice.

So the choices are:

Finnegans Wake
    Lolita
    Huckleberry Finn
    Watership Down
    "Classic Literature"?

I thought the "Break boundaries" line explained why you couldn't choose it. 
  • I'll just throw it out here now that Gone With the Wind is my favorite book ever and I practically know it cover to cover if assistance is required. <3
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Do Lolita.

Ian Ex Machina's actually Humbert Humbert
  • $80+ per session
    Lolita was my first choice, and also my current favorite of them all. It's also the only book of my current choices I already own. I'm looking into others of course.
    ^^
    If that were true a lot of people would (wrongfully) consider me a sympathetic character.
    Dude, we call you Paedofinder General and accept your wrong murdering of pseudopaedos absolutely admirable.

Face it, Ian. You're a paedo. 
  • $80+ per session
    Interesting book idea. A man just finishes reading Lolita and someone young that is close to him is young. He vows to find and kill the paedophile that did it.

But it's really him.
  • someone young that is close to him is young.

Redundant sentence is redundant.
  • $80+ per session
    I read part of it and then edited it without remember that I already wrote the part I edited in. It happens.
    >Dude, we call you Paedofinder General and accept your wrong murdering of pseudopaedos absolutely admirable.

Face it, Ian. You're a paedo. 

itsforresearch.jpg

So he has faulty memory or he is repressing it as he doesn't like to admit he is a monster?
  • $80+ per session
    Half and half.
    I quite like the repression idea, or something similar to framing of it.

For example:

The guy abuses his daughter but sees it as just expressing his love for her.
    However he hears her telling someone about being abused and he snaps and tries to find the paedo who abused his daughter, however what he finds doesn't make sense.

In the end his daughter tells him it was him he then sees what he has been doing in a realistic light and is dragged off by police.
  • $80+ per session
    It's also a comedy like Lolita.
  • edited 2011-09-01 16:01:11
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Ok well mine can be the same but dark humour then :D
    Still a bitter ending but dark bleak jokes along the way.

Edit:

Or I set it in a gritty real Manchester housing estate and get declared a great British film-maker.
  • $80+ per session
    That's what I had in mind, a dark humor.
    Honestly I think if I were to make it now I'd go for gritty, Britain loves gritty dark films.
    Well if Film4 are anything to go on they do.
  • $80+ per session
    I'd probably go for the dark humor. The whole thing told from jail (but you don't know it.)
    Talking like this makes me wish I had a film studio to do tell to make me this film.

I'd need a title though....
    The gritty thing would be to take a line said and use it as the title but I have no script so I'm stuck.
  • $80+ per session
    Owning a film/television production company is my main life goal.
    When you do, hire me? :D
  • $80+ per session
    Sure, why not?

If this actually DOES happen, I'll be sure to let EVERYONE know, and I wouldn't be above looking for amateur writers to join my company, because that's the kind of thing I want to happen more.