If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Santorum's napkin argument against gay marriage

edited 2011-08-29 15:24:54 in Politics
Pony Sleuth
Did anyone tell him that that isn't how language works? His theological, biological, and historical knowledge seems pretty suspect here, too. http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid823619053?bctid=1099667149001

Comments

• edited 2011-08-29 15:38:57
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Is it bad that the first thing I thought of was "If you need a napkin for your santorum, you're doing it wrong"?

Also, lol at the guy at the Coke machine.
  • I missed that, what was he doing?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Just some guy refilling his Coke in the background. I found it amusing because it shows that even the people who show up to his political rallies (in what seems to be an Arby's) don't give two santorums about him.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Of course they don't, he's just one santorum.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Did anyone tell him that that isn't how language works?

I doubt anyone in the audience actually knew about linguistic drift, or whatever we're talking about.

His theological, biological, and historical knowledge seems pretty suspect here, too.

see above.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    The Derp leading the Derp.
    His argument is why I've long advocated that the government stop calling it marriage, call all this stuff "civil unions", and left communities and religious groups and private citizens to declare things marriages.
  • edited 2011-08-30 00:13:33
    Pony Sleuth
    Well there's a trade-off there. It's easier to get things like certain privileges for gay couples passed if conservatives get to feel good about it not being "marriage," but that gives them all sorts of wiggle room for denying rights to civil unions. Would a straight couple ever choose to be in a civil union as opposed to marriage? I doubt it. It wouldn't be in their best interests.

The best case scenario is gay marriage being treated exactly the same in the eyes of the law as straight marriage, anything else is unjust and until we get there there isn't any reason to be satisfied.

I suppose in the meantime that might work out for the better, but I really don't think accepting compromises like that gets us much closer to the long term goal of equality.

EDIT- Oh, looks like you meant that straight marriages should just be termed civil unions as well. Well, I guess that could work, but it'd still be a little silly and I'm not sure it would be any more popular.
    It would be a little silly, but it would get the point across about how silly all this crap is, about a mere name.
  • I don't think that's how it would turn out. There's some patently ridiculous stuff that goes on in government that doesn't get dealt with.