If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The assignment I put off until now

edited 2011-08-29 18:57:37 in General
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
After reading The Bluest Eye, write a two to three-page argument for seeing the novel as as a narrative of about
  1. Identity
  2. Alienation and madness
  3. Dysfunctional family
  4. Poverty.
Identify and explain the symbolism in the novel. Does Morrison provide a psychology for Charlie Breedlove? If so, why? Pauline Breedlove is not the woman who lacks autonomy, even though she is, from a feminist perspective, already marginalized because of her gender, race and class (triple jeopardy), and neither is she simply an example of a dysfunctional family. Do you agree? Does Morrison give Mrs. Breedlove subjectivity? If so, how and why?
Frankenstein (1818), the name of the scientist who created a monster and not thename of the creation, was written to satisfy the requirements of a "ghost story" experiment/competition. Hows does the novel compare to any ghost story you have ever read or seen? In seperate paragraphs. explain why the novel is
  1. Epistolary
  2. Gothic
The novel has multiple narrators you should try to identify each one, and explaion the way each perspective affects our knowledge and understanding of what happens in the novel. The full title of Shelly's science fiction novel is Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus. The title, of course, highlights the fable of the narrative. Is this typical of science fiction? Is what way is the title character like a modern Prometheus?
WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANY OF THIS MEAN YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME WHAT THE FUCKING THING IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE IS THIS WHAT ALL NOT-SHITTY ENGLISH CLASSES ARE LIKE

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    The subtitle of Frankenstein is indicative of the story in that both Dr. Frankenstein and Prometheus wished to give greater knowledge and power to humans by conquering nature, but nature struck back by harshly punishing the two. It demonstrates the fact that God's creation should not be toyed with. It is a narrative tool used often by science fiction authors, especially those in the mid-20th century. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Yeah, I got that (it's bullshit), but I have no clue how to actually thread this into a coherent report.
  • They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...

Is this high school or college?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    It's for 12th Grade AP English, so technically college, but yeah I'm in high school.
  • The "epistolary" bit for Frankenstein is presumably because the novel is partly or wholly written in the form of letters. (Confession: I have never read the original novel, only an abridged version for kids. If you've read it, you're one up on me.)

That first one is nuts - how many questions about this book do they want you to answer in 2-3 pages? You could write full-length essays on any one of them.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I dunno the first one sounds ok, although that is possibly as it sounds like half of all my sociology essays.

I find it strange you are given a page limit rather than a word limit though.
    Like I said, I can figure out the answers to most of the questions, it's just that they're so randomly put together that I have no idea how to string them into a coherent report.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Is this all one assignment, or two? Because if they give you only 3 pages to write all of this, then you're better off directly answering each of the questions in order, giving each of them a paragraph or less.
    I think each of them is a seperate paper, but it all counts as one assignment.
  • edited 2011-08-24 16:49:18

"Like I said, I can figure out the answers to most of the questions, it's just that they're so randomly put together that I have no idea how to string them into a coherent report."

Hmm...maybe that's part of the issue. It may be a little difficult to explain, but taking the first essay as an example, I'm pretty sure those are connected. Identity is a pretty general concept, which is affected by things like alienation, madness, and poverty. A dysfunctional family is a source of these things. I'd agree with Neo Crimson about each concept being a separate paragraph and then using the introduction and conclusion paragraphs to tie all these together.

• edited 2011-08-24 17:35:48
    Mine is to read The Scarlet Letter. For half the chapters, I have to write a "reaction" to it, and for the other half, I have to create some kind of visual representation of whatever went on in that chapter. Then I have to make some kind of overall statement about the book at the end. I've barely dented the assignment so far.

Also, I have to pick 5-7 editorial columns and write what I think about them.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    My newest writing assignment is to review The Coffin. It's due in a month. I think I'll do that this weekend.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I have a Business Report I've been putting off since May. It was due early June >.>
  • No rainbow star
    I never had a summer assignment in my life :D
  • They seem to be more of an American tradition. I don't remember getting homework to do over the summer at either school or university.

No, summer holidays need to be kept free for great British traditions, like boredom, rain and looting and burning your local shopping mall.

• Now I remember why I was so confused at all those American cartoons featuring kids who didn't finish their summer homework.
  • ^ I'm American and I'm still confused by that.

If a teacher had tried to assign me homework over the summer I probably would have flipped out and done something that got me expelled.
    Frankenstein (1818), the name of the scientist who created a monster and not thename of the creation, was written to satisfy the requirements of a "ghost story" experiment/competition. Hows does the novel compare to any ghost story you have ever read or seen?

having trouble with this question here.

I don't think "ghost story" is really a rigorously defined genre, so I can't compare it, plus I don't have much experience with ghost stories at all.
  • Compare it to the gothic horror stories like Castle of Otranto or Nightmare Abbey, etcetera. No need to have read it, just compare it to a general summary.

Also, ask /lit/ for help, it'll be a laugh.