If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea of "hate" as a conscious action

edited 2011-08-22 14:58:20 in General
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
It strikes as being so very ridiculous when people say "Stop hating" or "Don't hate this", as if I have some sort of switch in my brain dictating whether or not I feel some emotion toward something.

"hating something" is a reaction to external stimuli, not a conscious action. Generally, if someone hates something, it's because it hits some button they have or makes them feel uncomfortable.

Comments

• Generally when people say to stop hating on something, I take it to mean stop bitching about it.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^This
  • You could really say this about any behaviour/thought/emotion, and at that point you run up against the "Things are looking deterministic" wall.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    ^^^ True. But then, given how liberally most people throw the the phrase around, you'd think all criticism was bad or something.
  • edited 2011-08-22 15:22:19
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    To some people, it is. They tend to be the same ones, mind you, who say things like "Stop hating" or "Don't hate this."
  • edited 2011-08-22 15:25:13
    Loser
    Wicked223,
    Generally, if someone hates something, it's because it hits some button they have or makes them feel uncomfortable.

I pretty much agree with you about hating things. People are a different matter in my mind, but that is probably a bit off topic anyway.

Plus, I think there is difference between active and passive hate. For example, I feel like if you passively hate K-On! you probably will complain about it from time to time with your friends/acquaintances. If you actively hate it, I imagine that you might go to K-On! topics or sites to pester people who do like it or otherwise say that people you like it must have something wrong with themselves.

The former situation does not seem to cause much damage in my view and just demonstrates the fact that people have different tastes. I feel like the latter scenario is pretty problematic though.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Stop hating on people telling you to stop hating on things.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
  • $80+ per session
    Vorpy, stop hating on him hating on people telling him to stop hating on things.
  • No rainbow star
    Vivi, stop hatin

Period
    y u b so dumb
  • $80+ per session