If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJAM: Gunnerkrigg Court is like Harry Potter, if Harry Potter was as awesome as everyone says it is.

edited 2011-08-22 13:11:54 in IJAM
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Only up to Chapter 18, though, so I guess I'm prone to being spoiled.

One thing I really love is the duality between spirituality and science without throwing its lot into one camp. There's less overt philosophy and more implicit discussion. A great balance between slice-of-life and plot, too, since the current plot essentially serves to develop what's essentially a character story.

I also appreciated the Liechtenauer-style swordsmanship in Chapter 17.

Comments

• I can honestly say...I like Gunnerkrigg Court better. It has everything I'm looking for in a good story.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Same here. Harry Potter's good, but it's far from the best thing I've read.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I liked Harry Potter better.

That may be because I only came upon the fandom after the 5th book though. When we already had most of the clues laid down, so everybody was frantically scouring the text for what was coming next, which was so fun.
  • For the uninitiated, how is it like Harry Potter?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    A girl with burgundy hair and blue eyes does Harry Potter things.
  • edited 2011-08-22 10:47:15
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Magical English boarding school where strange things happen.

The twist in the concept is that Gunnerkrigg Court, the school itself, is a school of advanced science where ghosts stalk the hallways and across the bridge is a forest filled with spirits and monsters.
  • You can change. You can.
    I liked Harry Potter better.
  • a little muffled
    I really want to read it. Problem is that I don't really like webcomics...
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I generally don't read webcomics, either.
    blah blah last days blah blah only webcomic i've liked blah blah problems with the format blah blah no endings ever blah blah
    I've liked other ones, mind, it's just not that often.
  • edited 2011-08-22 11:20:40
    a little muffled
    I actually did start to read it once, and I never really got anywhere. I always have that problem with webcomics; I just get distracted. I don't normally have a short attention span at all, but when I'm on the web...I do.

Thus the only webcomics I actually read are gag-a-day comics, and even then there's only a couple that I read regularly.
    There's also that. 

@MadassAlex: I was refferring to how I feel about webcomics, personally. I feel that the problem is simply the fact that with very few exceptions, there's no money involved in the writing of these, so it means that writers slack off and don't keep with updates. Therefore making the medium, with very few exceptions a complete mess. 

Also, as writers slack off, it's harder and harder for the thing to end. And that's annoying.
    Well yeah.

But GC is awesome. :3
  • Most comics, yes, but in the case of Gunnerkrigg Court, absolutely not. It is one of the VERY few self-sustaining webcomics, in that Tom actually makes his living doing it. He has never once had a schedule slip, and his "breaks" are actually bonus side-story panels.
    Notice I said very few exceptions.

the only thing that is stopping me from reading it in all honestly is called Gotham Central. And I ain't leaving that one yet.

Because it loves me and I love it. It has lesbians. It has sniper battles. It has creepy cases and it's just amazing. 

/Pimping.
  • MadassAlex: But Hogwarts is a Scottish boarding school. :<
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Moved to IJAM.