If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

International Saimoe League

edited 2011-08-20 14:20:13 in Media
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
It really, really boggles my mind how so many nerds can care about this, and then turn around and call the Academy Awards a stupid popularity contest.

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Because the Academy Awards are full of ELITISTS nominating PRETENTIOUS works of ART. 
  • I don't complain about the Academy Awards... >.>
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Good. I imagine that most of the people in it do, though.
  • The Academy Awards are less of a popularity contest than the Razzies.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    What is this league?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    It's an annual contest where people vote on which anime character is the most moe.
    Moe?
  • ^^ Cute/attractive, basically.
    I have never really cared for anime.

So why not just say cute/attractive, unless it has an additional non translatable meaning?
  • "It really, really boggles my mind how so many nerds can care about this, and then turn around and call the Academy Awards a stupid popularity contest."

Yeah, the double standard held by such cliques is frustrating, but I guess it's a matter of things looking trivial when you're not particularly interested in them.

• It really, really boggles my mind how so many nerds can care about this,
    and then turn around and call the Academy Awards a stupid popularity
    contest.

Blah blah nerds are not an homogeneous group, blah blah internet is an hyperbolic echo chamber blah blah, etc.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    ^^^ Because Japanese.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I thought you were joking until I googled it Wicked9000.

Hmmm, it's okay I guess?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Comparing the two really seems like apples & oranges.

In any case, I like the Academy Awards, but there are aspects about it that annoy me.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't care much for the Academy Awards, and I care even less for International Saimoe.

I've entered and voted in it a few times.  Mostly because I'm technically a card-carrying Fate Testarossa fan, and had to uphold that.

And also to downvote AIR/Kanon/Clannad characters for the hell of it.
    Holo should have won every year! D=<
    I once nominated Kisume.

Then I discovered, to my dismay, that only appeared-in-animé characters are allowed.
    Also the lack of Sawa-chan greatly displeases me.
  • edited 2011-08-20 20:54:14

That's because there are, like... at least 7 characters from that show who are better than Sawa-chan.

Maybe 8 if you include Nodoka or guitar store clerk guy.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Dem's fightin' woids, DYRE.
    ^^Bitch I will cut you.
    ohshit
  • Oh, also Sumire Saitou is also awesome, but she'd be ineligible for Saimoe due to not appearing in the anime yet.
    If only I had known that there was actually no real definition of "moë" they were using standardly.

I mean, they nominated Haruhi for it.

If I had known I'd nominate a few other characters.  I ended up only nominating ones that I thought somehow fit the "moë" mold in some way, including Kisume, Ami Mizuno, and Lumière.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    moe is serious shit

Also, I'm not sure that moe really has any definition other than "girl in anime I find cute-ish."
  • I mean, they nominated Haruhi for it.

And?  She's pretty commonly considered moe.  Thus her extreme popularity among otaku.

Wikpedia says regarding Moe:

Patrick W. Galbraith[2] notes that it is a pun derived from a Japanese word that literally means "budding," as with a plant that is about to flower, and thus it can also be used to mean "budding" as with a preadolescent girl.

Is this true, if so I have image macros for you all.
    Haruhi's pretty unanimously considered moe. I don't know all the girls there, but honestly the closest stretch was Holo and I'd say she counts in the whole 'd'aaaawww' appeal.