If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That the Hippie movement is mostly dead.

edited 2011-08-12 20:21:23 in General
I would have wanted to see it survive.

Comments

• Do yourself a favor and read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Then you'll realize why the hippie movement was a horrible, horrible mistake, not to mention why it could've never survived to begin with.
  • I'll put it on my list Zabu thanks for the suggestion I just really hate Nixon.
  • edited 2011-08-12 23:21:20
    Rest assured, he hates you too.

Anyway, Nixon was a bastard, yes, but it's not like the hippies ultimately did much to dismantle him or his institutions. He ended up winning office in spite of them, and the Vietnam War lasted well until '75. Apparently, the hippies actually did play a part in ending the Vietnam draft. So nevermind.

I'd say they contributed far more to culture than they ever did to politics, what with the music and New Hollywood and Lord of the Rings and all.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Marijuana
  • which should be legal!
  • Clean your room little Billy
    And the continued existence of New Age stores.
  • New Age holds promise I htink but I think i'm more Unitarian Universalist.
  • How many labels do you have?
  • what odyou mean?
  • You call yourself activist, universalist, libertarian, this and that, I mean how many labels did you identify yourself with?
  • your missing (classical) liberal, anarchist, Jeffersonian, agnostic, agorist, I know there ar emore that i'm leaving out jsut can't think of htem.
  • I repeat, how many labels did you identify yourself with? Why are you so obsessed with them?
  • for the sake of proper Taxonomy it makes it easier to explain who I am in simple terms as well as helps to establish an identity. Besides I love words.
  • Poot dispenser here
    25 years ago,
    They spoke out
    And they broke out
    Of recession
    And oppression
    And together they toked.
    And they folked out
    With guitars around a bonfire,
    Singing and clappin',
    Man, what the hell happened?
    Some were spellbound,
    Some were hellbound,
    Some, they fell down,
    Some got back up
    And fought back against the Meltdown,
    And their kids were Hippie Chicks,
    All hypocrites,
    Because fashion is smashin'
    The true meaning of it!
  • i'm considering starting a commune actually. I don't mind communism on a microscale but don't think it works on a macroscale.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    ^^Sauce?
  • Opposing the Vietnam draft was about the only thing the hippies did that I can appreciate, and they were hardly the only ones.  So...
  • Walking On The Sun by Smash Mouth.
  • No rainbow star
    Tnu: If I recall, there is one town that uses communism and it functions nigh on perfectly (even has a great balance with nature due to how the buildings are constructed)

So yeah, I'd have to agree. Communism works on a micro scale very well. Democracy is pretty much the only way to handle larger amounts of people though =/
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Ideally, communism was always supposed to be democratic.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah. You'd think that people would notice that an economical system that is all about the people would use a political system that is also all about the people.

Alas...
  • Sadly, the USSR started out something like that with the Soviets. Too bad Lenin decided he wanted all the power for himself.