If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Who here actually plays Duel Monsters?

edited 2011-08-08 18:25:32 in IJBM meta
I'm jsut wondering if anyone here actually plays the game. I know there ar ea good n8umber of Yu-Gi-Oh fans round here so i'm curious. I would like to play but the cards are far too small for me to be able to read. I havn't got a good grasp on the rules yet either.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I only like the bits of Yu-Gi-Oh from before it was about the card game.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    inb4childrenscardgame
  • You can change. You can.
    My Fireworks Does Yours plays, fwiw

I prefer Magic, tbh.
  • yes the Early parts of Yu-Gi-Oh were the best. never read the Manga because of the same reason I don't play DM but the Toei Series was excellent.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Turn on closed captions

• I used to play the card game until I realized it cost far too much to be competitive and Konami didn't really plan out the game very well (leading to only a few strategies being dominant).

But Pegasus was awesome.

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I used to play the card game until I realized it cost far too much to be
    competitive and Konami didn't really plan out the game very well
    (leading to only a few strategies being dominant).

Which is why I quit.

Once I was able to get enough money to get a tier one deck (Lightsworn) and win a tournament, I had already dumped 600 dollars into the game for a deck of 40 cards.

Not only that, they make so few worthwhile strategies, and the core of the game means that swarm mostly wins thanks to the implementation of Synchros, so that no matter what, as long as you have monsters on the field you can pull off a win.
  • I used to play. Until I lost my deck. I think my brother took it. I thought about going back until I saw some of the shit they started releasing and thought that, wow, how the hell could they release cards as overpowered as that?
    I played a game recently, about two months back, with a deck someone lent to me.

Easiest win ever. The advantage is that the magic/Trap cards are not limited by such things as mana in Magic, this means that reviving a monster you put in the graveyard via discarding or something doesn't cost you anything.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I Read That As "Duel Masters" (which yes, I played that too)

I did for awhile, but honestly it got boring. Yes, Magic is better... but only marginally.
    Magic has awesome artwork and mulligan/rehanding, while also implementing an awesome balance system.

Yugioh has a very easy to remember battle system and card functions.
  • edited 2011-08-08 23:53:34
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I played fervently (at lunch, even) until about 7th grade. Somehow it lost its charm.

And I don't think I'd be inclined to pick it up again, were I to look at what's released nowadays.

The pre-Duel Monsters parts of the manga were definitely worth reading, though.

I play Magic on and off, though; namely, I think about how awesome it would be to put this deck together, then face the fact that I'll never have enough money to make the deck I want or even be able to play it in a tournament setting and my interest just kinda fizzles.
    Get on cockatrice and play with all the cards. All of them.
  • I played it when I was in grade 3

it stopped being cool by grade 5

how fads fly
    Everything is either a robot or looks like a fucking robot.