If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The FCC

edited 2011-07-22 23:08:25 in Politics
I just watched the Family Guy episode about them and I can't agree more with the moral of the episode. These morons have overstepped their boundries for too long with no actual justification. "Think of the children" has become code for "fascism" I know i'm using the word loosely in this case but meh.

Comments

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    >Think of the children
    >fascism

Not sure if I understand.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ...you're using Family Guy's comedic ridicule of something to judge said something?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    We wouldn't have this problem if we marketed children as food.
  • You can change. You can.
    lol u jonathan swift, vorpy
  • Think of the children is often used to justify anyt nujmber of censorship or banning and such.  no one has ever noticed that?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    That's because children don't need to know about the insides of my vagina, or where my fingers go. (sexual)

They also don't need to be influence by other people's views and morals, and must take in part what their parents teach them. (religion)

They don't need to watch me moan as I piss and shit myself on their tv shows. (tasteless)

And they don't need to watch me murder my ex-girlfriend. (violence).

This is what the FCC believes, although it's actually supposed to be the parents preventing the children from seeing said things, but the FCC makes it easier for parents to "comfortably let their children listen to music and watch TV without something they are uncomfortable with being mentioned or seen".
  • and that as far as i'm concerned is quite wrong yeah we get it you don't want your children watching somthing but don't deprive us of it because you're a bunch of fucking prudes who don't like free speech.
    Let me try this again.

Are you seriously using Family Guy's comedic ridicule of something to judge said something?
  • edited 2011-07-23 09:42:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also

So the FCC won't let me be

or let me be me, so let me see

They try to shut me down on MTV

But it feels so empty, without me

• You know, when it comes to broadcast television, each network's Standard & Practices department has a lot more (direct) involvement with censorship than the FCC.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
  • ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    I don't think the message of that episode was that deep. I just think it was part "parents, control your children" and part "let's fuck with the censors."
  • edited 2011-07-23 14:08:26
    Loser
    From what I understand, many parents do not want their children to see things that they may not be ready to see or that they might not comprehend. For example, I think shows that are particularly scary seem to fit into the first category, especially in the sense that children tend have a harder time distinguishing fiction from reality than adults do. I agree that parents should keep a close eye on what their children watch and that certain things like the v-chip help with that.

However, if almost all of the stuff on TV is what you would consider objectionable, I do not think that simply watching your kids is going to help much. In such cases, I believe that some censorship is allowable. Basically, I feel like there should be certain times of the day when parents know there are shows that are appropriate for their children on TV.

Additionally, I think that part of it is related to advertisers. I feel like plenty of companies might not want to pay for advertising during a show that they think is really inappropriate. I may be wrong about this though since I am not particularly familiar withe advertisers.

There are also other people who just dislike a lot of sexual content, cursing, and the like who just want to be able to watch TV without worrying about that stuff. That being said, cable/satellite has a lot less censorship so if you want that kind of content, I would watch shows on the hundreds of channels available there instead. 

Or you could just go to the internet for your fix of uncensored media.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^^^^ Wonderful.