If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The TVT forums' opinion on IJBM2

edited 2011-07-22 19:15:17 in Webspace
Finally I got to get this out of my chest.

As somebody who cares about both forums, it bugs me that their opinion of us is that bad.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Same. It's probably why I haven't been able to bring myself to frequent Yack Fest anymore.
  • Well, it's not entirely unfounded, but the hate does get old on both ends.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    I wouldn't worry about it, busystreet, somethingawful, and deadhorseinterchange don't like tvtropes.  :p
  • You can change. You can.
    Yes, but let's be honest, nobody cares about busystreet. SA has some valid points and I don't know what DHIC is.
  • sleep is for the we[e/a]k

Well to be fair we're not exactly the nicest people out there, to those not in IJBM (and some within) the threads are all cyclical and pointless and we didn't really contribute that much to the wiki when we were there. 

I mean, I love this place but we're kinda hard to love.

Also a lot of people here really hate the TvT administration and are vocal about it.

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    Yeah, it's like that because we don't have worry about getting thumped that much.
  • edited 2011-07-22 19:23:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Also a lot of people here really hate the TvT administration and are vocal about it.
    This annoys me enough that I actually proposed a new rule about it in a mod-only topic awhile ago.

^I thump posts a lot. Probably still not enough.

To be honest, if everyone who broke the rules got banned, we'd have like three people left.
  • edited 2011-07-22 19:34:19
    Some people on Something Awful hate us. Maybe the majority but they aren't a hivemind, as much as they might give off that impression.
    Yeah, agreed. I mean, I understand that many people here are not fond of the TvT forums anymore, but there's a point when it's ridiculous.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've mostly been in favor of giving people an open forum to discuss their opinions on things, TV Tropes included.

I do admit, however, that the line between that and importing drama is not very clear, and does create moderation headaches.

As for thumping, I was thinking of thumping some posts earlier.  Decided not to.  Perhaps I should do so more often.  The main reason I don't thump posts is because people actually reply to stuff and there's actual flow of conversation that's lost.  If anything, perhaps I should just edit in comments saying "Don't do this again" or such.

As for Something Awful's opinion on us...I'll honestly say that I really don't care.  It means little to me personally, since I'm not going to ever join them anyway (as I refuse to pay their membership fee and my only real reason to join them is to get in on LPing action...which I rarely get enough time to do anyway), and as for this place as a whole, well, haters gonna hate.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    The main reason I don't thump posts is because people actually reply to stuff and there's actual flow of conversation that's lost. If anything, perhaps I should just edit in comments saying "Don't do this again" or such.
    I've occasionally edited a post to say "(response to thumped post)" if leaving it intact would make it obvious what the thumped post said.
  • edited 2011-07-22 19:53:19
    Loser
    OutsideTheBauksi,

Well to be fair we're not exactly the nicest people out there, to those not in IJBM (and some within) the threads are all cyclical and pointless and we didn't really contribute that much to the wiki when we were there. 

I mean, I love this place but we're kinda hard to love.

I agree with the last part of your post, but not the first two. While I can understand why some tropers may have reservations about IJBMers who are banned on TV Tropes, I feel like the actual atmosphere here is greatly exaggerated on TV Tropes. 

I understand that IJBM is not everyone's cup of tea, but when people act like the original IJBM was the "pit of depravity and stupidity" or that it encouraged trolling or somehow incited flame wars by its very existence, I have to think they are making it into a scapegoat. I realize that my view of IJBM may come with its own bias and perhaps I am engaging in a bit of hyperbole, but I am in the same position as Stormtroper here. I post in both forums and I dislike seeing the hate for one in the other.

• edited 2011-07-22 19:42:44
    When it comes to TV Tropes' opinion on this place, it's mostly a case of a vocal minority (you'll notice it's always the same few people who badmouth this place when it's brought up). There's also the matter that this place is almost always brought up in a less than favorable context.
    ^True, admittedly, however, it is true that the administration is not fond of us.
  • So the guys that blew the first one up are not fond of the second? Who'd have known.
    inorite

Still, it's rather harsh to see people you like dissing your hangouts. Just sayin'.
  • The last time I linked to an IJBM II thread over there, all that happened was that Tzetze told me to stop posting images instead of words.
  • Also a lot of people here really hate the TvT administration and are vocal about it.

Now that Guy in White is banned and Turtle doesn't post, how true is this?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    TvT administration

I don't run the site so they can do what they want.
  • What if you did?
    Oh, let's not do the hypothetical "What if...?" bullshit now, please?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ Shut up

^^ I would simply stop being so troll-paranoid and afraid of criticism about everything, and acknowledge as long as I run a site with free membership and visible content that I have to give up on worrying about what every other site says about me and just get shit done on my own.
  • The last time IJBM2 was linked there was in the Random Thoughts thread, and the reactions were pretty level-headed. Also, it's not that complaining about TVT imports drama, it's that it becomes so terribly repetitive. If we can all contain it in one thread instead of making a new one anytime someone posts something dumb over there, it would go a long way of not making us look like butthurt nitpicks.
    I could make a rule saying that you ought to necro old threads (either by searching for them or by my digging them back up and locking new threads) about already-discussed topics.  Do you think that would be a better idea?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'd think that was a better idea if it was easier to actually find threads.
    lol i just use google
    Can't we aks UE to help with the search tags or something?
  • I don't think even UE can save the Vanilla search engine.
    Notice I didn't say "engine"

I think that if the OP could be able to add tags to the threads, then it'd be easier to search for them. 

Of course, this is just a theory, as I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to technology
    Yeah, we could add hashtags to our posts.  This Twitter-like feature is actually part of Vanilla's feature list.