If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Should arson be legalized?

edited 2011-07-21 14:38:09 in General
I mean, if it's your house, it's your property and you should be allowed to do whatever you please with it. As long as it doesn't harm other people, it should be okay.

Comments

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Riiiiight... is that arson? I never thought about it.
  • edited 2011-07-21 14:39:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's arson if you make an insurance claim, IIRC.
  • INUH wins the thread.
  • Not sure the Fire Department will like all the potential trouble.

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    I thought arson was doing it with deliberate harm or at least causing damage to things not your own.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    As long as it doesn't harm other people, it should be okay.

because fires never inconvenience anyone, amirite
  • You can change. You can.
    am i the only one who thinks this is a myr metaphor thread?
  • edited 2011-07-21 15:12:14

As long as it doesn't harm other people, it should be okay. 

In at least some cases, when you start a fire on your property, you are endangering others.

For example, smoke inhalation or because fires spread.

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Now, I'm just imagining a hillbilly with a bango screaming at firefighters, trying to put his house out. "Get off my property!"
  • edited 2011-07-21 15:34:28
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13111065060A03220100

By the way, don't go over there and start shit, please.
  • edited 2011-07-21 15:16:58
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    *sigh* Some of us are banned from TVT, btw.
  • edited 2011-07-21 15:36:15
    I don't know what this is supposed to be a metaphor for, but it's possible to smoke marijuana, marry your gay partner, or not wear a seatbelt and guarantee it won't directly harm anyone else. You cannot guarantee that with arson.

• edited 2011-07-21 15:46:47
    not wear a seatbelt and guarantee it won't directly harm anyone else

Totally dude.

• edited 2011-07-21 17:44:36
    "Anyone else". And having your child in the front seat of your car is a different issue.
  • Glaives are better.
    FUCKING FIGHTEER
  • Notice how they fly to the back seat, where "anybody else" would sit.
  • So, why would one want arson to be legalized? Pyromania / Pyrophilia? A general belief that fire is pretty? Stress relief? What?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    That generic anarchist belief that "THE GOVERNMENT HAS NO RIGHT TO INTERVENE IN ANYTHING I DO!" and that includes burning your house down.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    Somebody did that around here.  Some dude got his employee to burn his house as part of an insurance scam.

The employee ended up dead due to burns and the dude got arrested.
  • edited 2011-07-22 01:01:58
    Reading that seatbelt thread, I agree with the "you should wear your selt belt so as not to endanger other people" argument, but the "you should wear your seat belt because your unnecessary death would be an inconvenience to others" thing makes me want to hit people.

Edit: The "it's the government's roads, and you have to do what they say no matter how arbitrary!" argument is also dumb.
  • ^ Besides, what about private roads?

On-topic, if you're out on your farm in the middle of nowhere and want to burn down your house to look at the pretty lights, fair go to you, I say. So long as you're aware that the consequences to your property are entirely your responsibility, anyway.
  • Which is funny because the issue is supposed to be an overexaggeration of this attitude, but go ahead and prove my point.