If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How hilariously out of touch I am with American television

edited 2011-07-13 12:29:44 in Media
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
Seriously, I haven't ever watched Lost, 24, True Blood, Glee, Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Simpsons, anything from the Law & Order franchise, House, CSI, NCIS, Psych, Dexter, and generally any moderately popular TV series in the past 10 years or so.

It makes me feel... left out...

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Of those, I've only watched Psych and the first season of 24.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I don't watch TV anymore. 
  • edited 2011-07-13 12:43:25
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't either. I saw all that on Netflix. My dad and I are trying to convince mom that there's no point paying for tv anymore.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

Of those, I used to watch CSI: Vegas and Miami Versions. Never New York versions because just like Pokemon, the third version is ignorable.

• I havn't watched ANY of that.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    because just like Pokemon, the third version is ignorable.

• You can change. You can.
    Bunch of heathen, all of you.

Anyway, yoou can take off your list:

Lost, 24 (Season 1 and 5), True Blood, Glee, Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Simpsons (From season 3 to 9-10), anything from the Law & Order franchise, House (Season 1-2), CSI, NCIS, Psych, Dexter,

And there you go. Now there's a good list. Also, add community. And blah blah Whedon. 

• edited 2011-07-13 13:26:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Now that I think about it, I did watch the first 20 minutes of True Blood and...no. Just...no.
    It's not particularly bad, but I didn't like it myself. It's just the bad southern accents and stuff. Not to mention that it's quite a fucked up show when it comes to sex. >_>
  • I refuse to support a series with a protagonist named Sookie Stackhouse. I mean, seriously.

Zap Rowsdower is a better name than that.
    ^I'm pretty sure you don't read the book series then.
  • No. Because I am opposed to horrible names by principle.

Same reason I refuse to watch Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt or read Peeps.
    And I did watch a few episodes of Lost, but quit when I heard that the whole "planning the series in advance" thing was a lie.
    So like the Inheritanance Cycle? The "hero" named Eragon... it's just dragon with the d switched for an e. You would never read that?
    And I did watch a few episodes of Lost, but quit when I heard that the whole "planning the series in advance" thing was a lie.

It sort of is and isn't. Thing is, that when people guessed the main twist (Purgatory) they had to change that. That and some other stuff like Nikki and Paolo dying because nobody liked them as well as Mr Eko's actor leaving the show because Hawaii sucks. 

It's like almost every other American show where the fan reactions write and influence at least 25% of the story. But it's not particularly unplanned or shitty when it comes to its plot. Just a bit...plot hole-y, I guess. But it's not particularly noticeably, imo. And it's still plenty enjoyable. 
    Yeah, I'll probably check it out again sometime.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Thing is, that when people guessed the main twist (Purgatory) they had to change that

Really? I hadn't heard that before.
  • edited 2011-07-13 15:12:22
    You can change. You can.
    At least, that's what I heard. -shrug- 

But admttedly, Lindelof and Cuse are trolls, so eh, it's not exactly certain. 
    I heard that one of the writers eventually admitted that when they started filming, they had no idea where they were going past the first five episodes or so.
    The show wasn't picked for a second season for quite a long time. At least, relatively speaking. In fact, the plans were to end it in the first season. But it was sucessful enough to keep going because of Tabula Rasa.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I don't watch a lot of American television. That's often because most American television isn't interesting to me and I've learned to steer very clear of American superhero shows.

I watch more sitcoms than anything else of American TV...
  • To be fair, Stackhouse is an actual name.
    The problem is the Sookie bit. At least, the combination of it with Stackhouse. Far too cheesy.
  • Yeah, Sookie sounds stupid.
  • I would watch the Snookie Stackhouse mysteries, though.

And then kill myself because I would no longer be able to live with what I had done.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I mean, one of my favorite book series has a protagonist named Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, so I can't talk.
  • That's a less stupid name than Sookie.

I mean, my standards aren't that high. I was willing to watch a movie called The Hudsucker Proxy.

But they do have limits, and the name Sookie is one of them.
    Hey, at least you can shorten that out. Harry Dresden sounds cool.

However, you can't take the Sookie out of Sookie Stackhouse.
  • edited 2011-07-13 17:44:51
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It also has the canonical justification of Wizards needing long names to keep their true names unknown and his father being a stage magician.