If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When there's this video game goal you're trying to achieve...

edited 2011-02-15 19:15:15 in Media
...and you overachieve.

Let me explain. There's this Bonus Boss you've been trying to kill, or beat this marathon level of awesome or whatever other challenging thing. You've managed to almost beat it many times over in a climactic finale that unfortunately ends in your game over. You could've done it if you only had a bit more HP, or one more life. But no matter, you're full of energy from that exciting attempt and you're sure that when you do beat it, it'll be in a glorious battle with a climax in which you, the player, use the last drop of your soul to beat.

And then you beat it with half your HP, many extra lives/special attacks/mons/whatever in a curbstomp battle which didn't even feel that challenging.

It's disappointing.

Comments

• Harbinger of thread and forum death
    so very disappointing
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Except when you really overachieve it. Like if you one-shot the boss or something.
  • Doesn't sound disappointing at all.

When that happens I actually feel like I won by my own skill/strategy than just that I happened to be slightly luckier the second time.
  • Fucking Yiazmat, you bitch. You wasted my time.
  • edited 2011-02-15 21:15:43
    Except when you really overachieve it. Like if you one-shot the boss or something.

That's more or less what I meant.

Late Edit That Nobody Will Read But Whatever: Unless you meant a literal one-shot, in which case that's not what I meant.
    When that happens I actually feel like I won by my own skill/strategy than just that I happened to be slightly luckier the second time.

I dunno, to me it feels like having beating it for the 10th time, while the moment I beat it the first time was erased from history.
  • I don't mind luck or improvising. Formulaic battles that go "Get this guide/strategy, it's the only way to beat them" or require repeating ONE spell/summon over and over to win is boring.
  • The only video game overachieving I'm familiar with is Minecraft and Psychonauts. Has anyone actually gone to the trouble of collecting all the figments in Milla's race track? I hope not.
  • ...how do you overachieve on minecraft?

Collect EVERY block you can see on Far rendering?

I almost emptied out a 3x3x64 area, all the way down to the Bedrock on my file.
    Wow. How long did that take?
  • A day.

DIG STRAIGHT DOWN?

DAMN STRAIGHT.
    Also, how many picks did you go through?
  • 1 diamond pick.
  • I made a diamond pick but I keep thinking I'll need it later.

For....something. I only ever use it for obsidian.
    I pretty much just use diamond for obsidian. And occasionally armor if I get a lot.
  • I use it for TOOLS

because i am a TOOL

TOOL

TOOL

Nah, they last 1500+ uses, and a 1x1 area can go up to 64 blocks down, so you can easily empty out a chunk with one pickaxe...provided you have 64 ladders.
  • edited 2011-02-15 21:15:48
    You actually only need 32 ladders.

Or 31, I think.
  • edited 2011-02-15 21:16:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You don't need to place the ladder every z-level. Every other will do.

Stupid ninja DYRE.
  • SILENCE DYRE DYRE DOCKS!

I LIKE TO WASTE LADDERS