If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the shit threads popping up in Yack Fest lately

BobBob
edited 2011-02-14 00:23:43 in General
So, checked out Yack Fest today, and I just have to ask... WTF? Jesus Christ people, what the hell? I mean, I love a good shit thread as much as the next guy, but do we really need an entire sub-forum full of them? Well, I suppose that wouldn't be such a bad idea, but Yack Fest isn't that sub-forum. Besides, if you're gonna do that, can you at least try to be a little funnier? Good god people, get yourselves together.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah. It was kind of ridiculous tonight.
  • Good thing I don't even go there anymore.

*still thinks it can get too much like a hugbox at times*

• BobBob
    edited 2011-02-14 00:30:29
    "At times?"
    I've never understood the "yackfest is a hugbox" thing. It gets dumb, sure, but not hugboxy for the most part.
  • Went there. Looked at some threads. That's a lot of shitposting.
  • ^^Even before IJBM got nuked, it just seemed like there was this odd, insincere saccharinely sweet vibe where anything negative was absolutely prohibited and anyone complaining about anything or giving anyone any sort of criticism was considered an asshole. Plus, there's the gushing thread...
  • ^ That. Note how a lot of Yack Fest regulars hated Guitar Bizarre for his posts, especially the one in the "American Life Lessons" thread if anyone remembers that. That was a hard truth for quite a few tropers to stomach, hence the hate.

It's also worth noting that your belligerence is inversely proportional to how well you're liked on YF. I'd say if I were more belligerent I wouldn't be as liked.

I've never noticed it, and I hang out in the Jammies Thread. Though I can see the gushing thread being like that.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-02-14 00:48:09
    ^^Well, that last part isn't necessarily true. Hell, I was a downright douchebag, and people seemed to like me. I think. :/
  • There are exceptions, naturally. And yeah, I've already gotten over no one gushing over me quite some time ago because in the end, it's all fruitless.

The thread does foster attention whoring, might I add.

• -actually kind of liked Guitar Bizarre-

-has nothing else to contribute-
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-02-14 00:55:18
    ^^It's not the thread so much as (forgive me, but it needs to be said) the posters. The concept is alright, but the problem with it is that when certain posters feel like they're not being gushed about enough, they feel the need to pester everyone until someone takes the bait (or gushes about them to shut them up).
  • ^ That is why I felt incredibly ashamed when I felt bad that no one was gushing over me. How fucking lame is that shit? -_____-

I've since been over it.

• BobBob
    edited 2011-02-14 01:01:09
    ^^Nothing wrong with feeling bad about it, as long as you don't clog up threads with it. Then again, there's the whole "why care about what random people on the internet think of you" thing...

^Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • "Yack Fest: Exactly like IJBM, but god forbid you actually say that." — funnyguts

Another one for the "if we had signatures here" club...
  • ^^ Good thing I'm already over it.
  • Yack Fest is not a fucking hugbox, or else I'd enjoy it more. Sure you cant hate anything when you start a thread, but your responses to a thread can be as negative as you like. After seeing Guitar Bizarre on Yackfest I've realized he's a performance troll, only doing it because he wants people to pay attention to him and wants to use "trolling" as a personality tag, which is why he publicly announces every alternate he gets to everyone there, rather than just doing it to entertain himself. Kind of like the little scene kids from Gaiaonline, he's like a clone of them, except he's probably ugly and overweight.

The megathreads there are all for sympathy, no doubt, but it's supposed to be for special little niche people everyone likes. Then again, eternal pessimism is really really annoying because you can't hate everything, and when you do, you turn into an asshole that nobody wants around.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, GuitarBizarre is hardly the best person to communicate any message, whether true or false.  He openly admits to enjoying being abrasive and frequently showers his speech with expletives, such that even when he is right his intensity is often wrong.
  • edited 2011-02-14 01:12:25

I understand the performance trolling bit, but I don't think you can deny that what he said in that post way back had some fact.

It's a pity I can't copy paste the contents here because I didn't save it up and IJBM is gone.

For the record, I'm not an eternal pessimist, just a realist.

^ There's that.

• Okay, maybe it's not a hugbox, but you can't deny that it turns into one at times. It seems to alternate between hugbox, shitpost central and "ITT ITSF: We talk about stuff". Besides, no one here is supporting eternal pessimism. I think.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, I just created what is effectively an IJBM thread, earlier tonight.
  • edited 2011-02-14 01:16:02
    I don't know about his ultimately true message because I wasn't here, but the GB we have now is kind of sad. I heard about what he said and wanted to find him and learn more from him, but by then he turned into something empty and sad, and I couldn't bear to even see his posts anymore.

realist isn't a "everything fucking sucks I hate school everyone is an asshole fuck you, fuck this place, Anarchy!" kind of person though.
  • edited 2011-02-14 01:18:33

realist isn't a "everything fucking sucks I hate school everyone is an asshole fuck you, fuck this place, Anarchy!" kind of person though.

That's me! I don't really hate anyone unless I've been wronged or they duly deserve it in my eyes. And Tnoph, I think you just described "emo". :P

• edited 2011-02-14 01:17:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Isn't GB banned from the forum?

He's only on IRC now.

FWIW I've invited him here but he doesn't come.
  • What Miya said. Also, agreeing about GB. I have no idea what he used to be like back in the day, but when I see him on IRC, he just seems to be acting like a complete asshole for the sake of it.
  • He used to be more tolerable. Back when I used to frequent the channel, I just ended up ignoring him all the time.
  • edited 2011-02-14 01:23:15
    Pony Sleuth

"...especially the one in the 'American Life Lessons' thread if anyone remembers that. That was a hard truth for quite a few tropers to stomach, hence the hate."

Could you describe that post? I never saw it.

• So, what was he like? Was he a "tough-love" kind of person (i.e. the one person that tells you what you need to hear even though you don't like the way they say it), the one person who was always right but still a total asshole, a guy who always needed to be right (a trait which people may have mistaken as being an asshole), or what?
  • edited 2011-02-14 01:28:09

tl;dr, he described Yack Fest as some sort of escapist fantasy for tropers who are unwilling to face the harsh realities of life. He even used Dark Lady Celebrian as an example because, like it or not, she fits the bill to a T.

^ Half of both IMO except that he is a genuine asshole.

• edited 2011-02-14 01:26:38
    ^^ Is. He's not dead.

And all 3.