If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is it elitist if...

edited 2011-06-29 11:42:18 in Philosophy
Because you never know what you might see.
You would rather be appreciated for doing something creative or smart than for doing a boring-but-necessary job very well?

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    "Elitist" is a meaningless word nowadays, so no.
  • What if you were appreciated for approaching a boring but necessary job in a creative/smart way, which allowed you to do it well?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^ That would be pretty awesome; you could encourage others to do the same and in doing so improve quality of labour in general, bettering society as a whole.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    As long as you didn't express disdain/act differently towards for the people who did the boring but necessary jobs it doesn't matter if you desired to appreciated for creative/smart work.
  • edited 2011-06-29 14:08:51
    Loser
    Khwarizmi,
    You would rather be appreciated for doing something creative or smart than for doing a boring-but-necessary job very well?

I would not call that elitist. I think that something like fun-seeking, adventurous, individualistic, or maybe even artsy would describe that attitude better. I feel like if you were elitist you would not only prefer being appreciated for doing something creative or smart, but would look down on anyone who did a boring-but-necessary job very well (as IanExMachina said). Your mileage may vary on what I just said though.
  • Who cares if it's elitist? Do what you want.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    You're only elitist if you express your enjoyment in a haughty/condescending way.
  • I don't think it is elitist, no
  • edited 2011-06-30 09:05:03
    Because you never know what you might see.
    >Who cares if it's elitist?

I do.  Elitists annoy me, and so does hypocrisy.

Still, the consensus appears to be a resounding "no" anyway.
  • Well, yes, elitism is an attitude, not a preference. The fact that you acknowledge the necessity of the boring job at all is generally a good indicative that you're not being an elitist.