If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Eliezer Yudkowsky

edited 2011-02-09 20:48:06 in Philosophy
Fuck him, and his stupid cult, and his stupid rhetoric, and his stupid smugness, and his stupid fanfics, and his stupid scientism, and his stupid unoriginality.

Comments

• Looks like there's one more thing I'm going to have to wiki...
  • edited 2011-02-09 21:34:52
    -runs to google-

Also, DOUBLES
  • Darn you and your brainy subjects Myrmidon!
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Eh.  He's OK.  I read some of Methods of Rationality and it was pretty funny.  The stuff on his site about existential angst and stuff was pretty inspiring, and the stuff about rational debate is usually pretty good advice.  I don't think much of the religion posts, and I find his transhumanism obsession kind of creepy, although I can at least understand why he feels that way, having read his reasons for it.
  • He is however, superior to Phillip Pullman.
    I liked I Was a Rat.

Weirdly, I read His Dark Materials while I was still pretty seriously Christian, and it didn't really bother me.  I thought it was a bit hypocritical when I found out how offensive he apparently found C.S. Lewis' preaching, though.
  • What about Carl Sagan, or is he in a class of his own?
    I don't actually know a lot about Sagan, other than that he did documentaries.
  • Carl Sagan is okay,

By the by, "Materialist Naturalist" is code for "I have no coherent ontology, so I'm just pawning the task off to science and assume it has some kind of unified coherent ontology".

Which it doesn't, and never has.
  • I thought materialism was code for "I don't care".

• materialism = I only care about stuff
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    He's pretty out there, and hates religion.

That doesn't stop me from enjoying his existence. He's pretty smart when he isn't bashing, you know, stuff he doesn't personally believe in.
  • I wouldn't say hates; in fact it kind of annoys me when religious people claim Atheist X "hates" religion when really X merely disagrees with it.

Eliezer thinks religion is clearly false, but he doesn't hate it anymore than you hate the Flat Earth Society.
  • edited 2011-02-23 22:49:56
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    From what I've read in his log posts on LessWrong, he definitely has an enormous distaste for religion.

Of course, it might be more like: "I hate false things" + "Religion is false" = "I hate religion".

Like that, perhaps? In any case, I definitely pick up on a lot of negativity in his stuff.
  • Right, correction:

Eliezer thinks religion is clearly false, but he doesn't hate it anymore than he hates the Flat Earth Society.

• I'm sure he doesn't.