If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The social stigma against men wearing skirts/dresses.

edited 2011-06-26 03:00:17 in Philosophy
Seriously what's even worse is if it's a specific pattern it's dismissed as acceptable because it's a "kilt" what the fuck people? I still need to try a skirt I hear they're comfy as all hell.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Kilts are not skirts, that's ridiculous.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Why?

Because men don't shave their LEGS THOSE FUCKERS

Not serious in case you couldn't tell.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've noticed that people in the U.S. seem to have some sort of discomfort from seeing men's thighs.

Women's thighs are okay to be seen, so this leads me to conclude that men are fetishizing thighs and simultaneously heterosexuals' implicit homophobia (not hatred but actual subconscious fear in this case) is being manifested in feeling uncomfortable at seeing the same sexualized body part, but on men.
  • I have no problem with seeing men's thighs....... Damnit you got me thinking about it. I'll be in my bunk.
    Same goes for outlining the crotch with a brief-style piece of clothing.

Apart from Superman and Batman, "speedos" are not fashionable for exactly this reason.  And it is related to the fact that bikinis are fashionable.
  • This is one of those stigmas I can't really defend, but I would prefer we kept on basis of tradition.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Tradition isn't necessarily good.

Is there a good reason to keep it? If so, keep it.

If not, get rid of it.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^^ At the risk of sounding pervy, an outlined male crotch is slightly more... revealing.  Not that that justifies the double standard, of course, but I can understand why they'd be perceived differently.

But yeah, the no men in skirts thing does seem rather stupid, IMO.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't like men's legs, so I don't like men wearing a skirt.

But if you want to use it, you're free to do so. Just don't expect me to look at your legs.

/Juan's incredibly smart contribution.

...except not.
    Men's legs are invisible to Juan. They walk around via telekinetic force to their legs.
  • edited 2011-06-26 09:32:55
    Tableflipper
    What if they just wore long skirts?

Also kilts don't feel that different from a skirt as far as physical comfort goes.

...or not. I'm not exactly sure how kilts are made, so mine could just be a bad copy.
  • You can change. You can.
    Men's legs are invisible to Juan. They walk around via telekinetic force to their legs.

I wish, cygan. I wish. ;_;
  • Now you have me thinking of bulging crotches and nice penes
    I just prefer it when they wear pants.

Then again, I prefer it when women wear pants.

I like pants.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Kilts are different in function from skirts, though. Kilts are designed for kicking ass with a hilarious accent, skirts are designed for easy access something else.
  • Actually Cygan I preferr trousers on women too.
  • edited 2011-06-26 10:02:49
    "Why?

Because men don't shave their LEGS THOSE FUCKERS

Not serious in case you couldn't tell."

Actually, that does contribute a lot to the stigma. If not men themselves, then the usual stereotype of men in speedos being overweight and unshaven as portrayed on television.

Also relevant to this topic:

• androgynous so it's hard to tell.
    Fuck you, Kuja.

@Juan_Carlos: I dare you to check out swimwear catalogues.  Lots of sexy women AND sexy men.  Often in the same picture.
  • I still stand my statement that Kuja is a post-op Trans-Woman.