If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Need help understanding the concept of wages.

edited 2011-06-25 05:40:47 in Politics
I'm a little lost people talk about wages like they are this bad thing. I don't quite get it. isn't a wage basically identical to the concept of compensation? Also slightly off topic but i'm having trouble figuring out a plain text understanding of the right to counsel in the sixth amendment. If anyone can help me examine it it would be helpful. in the strictest reading (as in p ure literal reading of the text based on what the words meant at the time the Bill of Rights was ratified) Would it simply mean the right to seek and potentially obtain counsel or the right to have counsel provided to you by the government? i'm naturally assuming the former and wodnering if the current understanding fits with a plain text reading.

Comments

• edited 2011-06-25 17:04:46
    Loser
    I'm a little lost people talk about wages like they are this bad thing. I
    don't quite get it. isn't a wage basically identical to the concept of
    compensation?

I have not heard of this before, so I am afraid I cannot help you unless you could point me to examples of that kind of thinking, sorry.

As for the other part, I think that a so-called plain text view of the Sixth Amendment may be that one just has the right to have counsel as you said, but I believe that the phrase "Assistance of Counsel" is specific enough that it may require the government to provide it. At least, that seems to be what was decided in Gideon v. Wainwright. I am not sure about that since I do not necessary know what pure a literal reading of "Assistance of Counsel" would be though.

Still, since Gideon v. Wainwright was decided a long time after the Bill of Rights was ratified, one may conclude that the decision conflicts with the original meaning of the Sixth Amendment. However, if I remember correctly, back in those days, the Bill of Rights did not even really apply to state governments, so I think the issue may be a bit complex.