If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I saw a picture of Belle from Beauty and the Beast and my first thought was that it was CA

edited 2011-02-06 23:34:30 in General
I was at Wal-Mart and there was some toothpaste with Disney Princesses on it and I was wondering why there was a picture of Central Avenue on toothpaste.

More generally, I guess that IJBM that because of people using certain things as their avatars here and on the main TV Tropes forums, I can't look at without first thinking of that troper.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    This happens to me, too. I think of DYRE when I see Yotsuba, for instance.
  • When you see Mario you should think of me. >:(
  • Well... I don't.  Sorry.

^^^ Incidentally, even I think of DYRE when I see Yotsuba.

And I am DYRE.  So it's kind of weird.
  • Fuck, I'm not the only one who does this with peoples' avatars.

(just out of curiosity, first thought?)
  • edited 2011-02-06 23:40:07
    Yeah.  I probably would have thought of you anyway, but if you're linking the picture and asking about it... that's kind of going to cause some bias...
  • Well I don't think you would have looked it up otherwise...
  • Wow, I've left an impression with someone. I think.

As for Zorak, well: If I saw a picture of him out of context, I would definitely think of AU, but I'm not sure I'd think "hey! It's AU!" so much as "hey! It's that bug AU likes!"
  • edited 2011-02-06 23:57:29
    Loser
    DYRE,
    I can understand that reaction. When one associates certain images or characters with a person I think it makes sense that you would think of him or her when seeing that characters somewhere else.

To give a rather odd example, I sometimes see a picture of Tsukiyo Oba (the character in my current character) and think it is of me for a moment. Sometimes it is actually difficult for me to have a mental image of myself that does not look like Oba. Again, I am a bit of a weirdo.

I think there are other users who I associate with certain characters as well though no examples can come to my mind at the moment, sorry.
  • Every time I see an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, I expect them to talk about typefaces or fonts  or something.

Everytime I see a Disney Princess I think about roadsigns.

Everytime I see Yotsuba the wore DIRE echoes in my head.

Everytime I see Rei I think "What's the frequency Kenneth?"

Everytime I see A blonde haired girl with a red headband i think about birds. ALICE MARGATROID

Everytime I see a anime girl with really weird proportions I think of Edmania.

• Great, now I'm picturing Space Ghost, Zorak and Moltar talking type in the Commissary.

Which, oddly, sounds rather boring. (This is coming from someone who watched the entirety of Helvetica)
  • There was a movie about Helvetica?
  • Oddly, I'm kind of interested in seeing that now.
  • I'm kinda interested, but I don't like watching movies.

If there were a book about Helvetica, I'd snatch it up.
    That might help with my visual design class. We're designing fonts next.
  • What kind of fonts?
    I dunno. We haven't started that section yet.
  • I have a confession: I have the 1923 American Type Founders Specimen Book.

I initially got it because many famous type designers use old specimens as inspiration. It's also good to look through sometimes just for the visual appeal.
    It never bothered me until you said that. And now it does. I will never be able to unsee that. What did I ever do to you?
  • it's beautiful because of how awkward it is (even if it is meant to be legible)

for a more neutered acceptable version try interstate
  • $900 in all!

Fonts tend to be very expensive, too much for average Joe to justify spending on them.
  • edited 2011-02-07 02:51:40
    Well, I used the font I used to make that graphic was Roadgeek 2005 Series E(M). Which is an "unofficial" Highway Gothic clone, but is virtually identical to the official FHWA specifications.

It's the closest you could get without buying an expensive CAD program, and of course there's no need to do that if you're not designing actual road signs.

Interstate is awesome, though. Just not for road signs.
  • edited 2011-02-07 02:56:18
    ^^ But the Roadgeek 2005 fonts are free!

They even include a set of ClearviewHwy clones, but those aren't nearly as accurate. Mainly because you can't get a close look at actual ClearviewHwy without paying $800 for it.

^ "This website is temporarily unavailable. Please check back later."
  • edited 2011-02-07 10:23:56
    Actually, I finally got the first link to load, after refreshing like 5 times.

I didn't understand the hate for Clearview at first, but then ODOT starting using it for their freeway guide signs and it occurred to me that widespread adoption of Clearview means the end of FHWA Series E Modfied. [sad]
  • Funnily, I first saw it in the wild in the Toledo area, in 2010.
  • edited 2011-02-07 10:23:32
    I first encountered it along I-71 south of Columbus. ODOT seems to be all over it now as they rush to replace all the remaining button-copy signs.

I even managed to snap a couple "before and after" shots:
  • It's funny that the fontsite actually makes money to pay for their site?

So as long as they sell 1 font per 2 months, that site can continue running.