If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that it's bad to make things accessible to more people (without impacting anything else)

edited 2011-06-19 15:18:45 in General
I don't mean things like how, say, some people criticize modern video games for being simpler to appeal to "casual" gamers, because simplifying games like that generally does mean an actual change in gameplay or the interface or something, so perhaps people can dislike those changes.

But like... people being opposed to the creation of, say, tools to assist in modding video games (because that's what inspired this thread), solely because it increases the number of people capable of doing it, even though it should have no negative impact on the people who can already do it.

Comments

• I heard someone on another forum call this "indiefag syndrome".

I'd say it's because you can no longer say that you are "better" because you can do this thing (in this case, modding).
  • Yeah, that's pretty much what it is.  It seems really petty though.  Plus, in general, it's not like increased accessibility actually lowers the importance of having competence at something.  I mean, say, Game Maker does make it way easier to make a game than it would be if you were to program it yourself.  But just because someone is capable of using Game Maker, it doesn't mean they'll end up with a good game.  Of course, equivalents exist in non-videogame contexts, but games are what I have more experience with so... yeah.