If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tropes you hate

edited 2011-06-17 19:34:22 in Webspace
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
Please, please, please try to stay away from TVTropes bashing.

First, Getting Crap Past the Radar is terrible, because it allows not only for a smug sense of superiority when you claim "Oh, well, I caught a clever joke the censors missed! My favorite creator and I are so smarticle!" Not to mention how incredibly disturbing it gets when people deliberately look for sexual material in things like kid coms and animated Disney shows, and how most of the examples aren't even true.

Second, I hate Idiot Ball, because, amazingly enough, people are not able to make the most coherent decisions when placed under a lot of stress. So I can understand why someone's an idiot for doing something clearly incorrect, but if the context is different, shouldn't it technically make things more realistic, especially since people do that all the time in real life? 

Comments

• So, just to get things straight before posting...

This is not a thread about tropes you dislike, but rather a thread about trope pages you dislike?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Eh. I guess it could swing either way. 
  • Randomly Drops. When I finally get the item, I don't feel accomplished, but that I just used up several hours of my life that I'll never get back.
  • edited 2011-06-17 19:41:06
    Tableflipper
    HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME

YOU WILL BE JUDGED

fuck my list is too long
  • Fridge Logic.

Apparently everyone in fiction is always rational and never misspeak, lie or are mistaken about something unless the work tells us they are.
  • If it's about trope pages, then WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids (or WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids) and some other similar tropes tend to get examples that aren't really proper examples at all.  Rather, they're written to make someone feel better about liking a show that they'd otherwise feel insecure about liking, or otherwise to assert that a show they like has more value than it actually does.  Not that all or necessarily even most examples are like this, but there are enough that seeing the name of the trope is enough to annoy me.

As for tropes, eh... at the moment I can't think of any in particular that I absolutely don't like ever.  But should I think of some I'll post here again.
  • ireadthatas

tropers you hate.

And I have a few...
  • $80+ per session
    I think a lot of the crap past the radar is true, at least for Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows.
    What I also hate about it is the fact that, apparently, having a lot of GCPTR makes you a good show.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    If we are going by Trope Pages, then my list revolves around:

Shout Outs.

ARGGHH
    How I hate them: 
    OH THIS WORK HAS JESUS IN IT IT MUST BE A REFERENCE TO MY FAVOURITE ANIME.

WOW THIS CHARACTER HAS BROWN HAIR LIKE THE CHARACTER FROM MY FAVOURITE ANIME, IT MUST BE A SHOUT OUT.

• I liked this thread better when there was an "er"  in it.
  • Ambiguously Autistic.

I don't think I need to add anything more. Suffice to say that "aspergers/autism" is the new "repressed homosexuality" as far as Alternative Character Interpretation goes.
  • edited 2011-06-17 19:58:54
    ^^ "Tropeers you hate"?

^ ...
  • What's this? A thread about disliking tropes without descending into shitposting? SUCK IT YACK FEST.

I've got a few I hate, but I can't think of them right now. I'll post them when I remember.
    DO EET

^^^ What is with the Internet and Asperger's anyway? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

@DYRE: Which also brings me back to GCPTR. "Ooh! If you tilt your head to the side, and squint a bit, you could possibly interpret what these two twelve year olds are saying as innuendo for anal sex! Clearly, I am smart and mature for watching this show, because I can interpret things only the developers can, and I am thus justified in enjoying this program."

Seriously. Why are so many people on the Internet afraid of simply admitting to liking a children's show? (MLP excepted)