If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Threads disappearing into thin air

BobBob
edited 2011-06-14 21:50:36 in IJBM meta
Even when you know it's not that great a thread and / or it's not contributing anything to the site and needs to go, it's still a little unsettling.

Comments

• edited 2011-06-14 21:52:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Unless there's been another one I don't know about, the thread you're talking about was a pretty blatant rules violation pretending not to be one.
  • edited 2011-06-14 21:52:49
    ^ "Trying", not "pretending".
  • I know. I'm not saying I wanted it to stay, I'm just saying that the sudden disappearance freaks me out.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Yeah, fair enough. But still, same end result.

^Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm still kinda freaked out about a few I saw back on TV Tropes.
  • Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind deleting a thread rather than just locking it?

(I asked the same thing on TVT back in the IJBM days but never got a straight answer)
    Well, for me, I lock threads that start out valid (or even kinda questionable) but go south from there, and delete threads that simply had no chance of ever being non-rulebreaking.
  • That makes sense, I guess.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Sounds good. Though I ended up deleting a thread I made once because I didn't think before making it. >_>
    Oh, and then there are doubleposts. Can't forget about them.
  • ^^ Oh, Funnyguts deleted one of mine once for that reason. Because I requested it, of course.
  • Is this the GLORIOUSLeader thread?

Also I hated the constant thread deletions back then. They were kinda creepy.
  • Which GLORIOUSLeader thread? If you mean the one I made, it's still here.
  • Yeah, that one.
  • edited 2011-06-14 23:19:05
    ^^^ No, that one's still here

And yeah, the thread deletions in old IJBM were unsettling. Especially the ones where not even the mods knew how or why they'd been zapped. *coughKHSAScough*

Ninja'd twice.
  • As much as KHSAS irked me, it's sudden zappinationing bothered me. A lot. The fact that nearly none of the mods hnew why and no one was able to explain the situation just made it that much worse.
  • ^ Exactly. I disliked the thread, but I disliked its sudden disappearance far more.
  • I don't know why there was so much complaining about a thread that wasn't hurting anything
    ^The most vocal complainer was Mount Fire Eyes. Enough said.
  • I just ignored the thread for the most part. It was easier for me to not click on it than it was to bitch about it
  • edited 2011-06-15 05:14:47
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    It's fun when I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • KHSAS, or Kagami Hiiragi Snuggling After Sex, was a thread on old IJBM about threadstacking (the original title were IJAM's "Kagami Hiiragi" and "Snuggling After Sex"). After a few pages, it became an insanely active roleplaying thread, becoming one of IJBM's megathreads within a few days, along with Fetishes and I Just Changed Into My Jammies.

Eventually it god deleted for reasons unknown (I thought it was because of the title) and lives again as Kagami Hiiragi Snuggling With Onions in the roleplaying subforum.
  • edited 2011-06-15 11:17:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > it god deleted

LOL typo

I think it's because it was rapidly becoming not just a megathread but a sex-related megathread--with role-playing and lolicon overtones to boot.  And it wasn't in the role-playing forum, and it had probably gotten several hollers.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My original intent was simply complain that threadstacking had created
    the annoying mental image of sexualizing the Lucky Star cast.  Then it
    became a crazy bunch of derails about Lucky Star (including MoeDantes
    roleplaying as Konata) and its merits and darkfic ideas based on Lucky
    Star.  But that wasn't the craziest part.

Then evilneko, DYRE, Forzare (then known as Metalhead467 I think), nohaynicklibre got a hold of the thread and it became an insane pit of role-playing.