If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

«Standard» quotation marks

edited 2011-01-08 16:59:04 in General
(void)
If you try to quote something with the normal quotation marks("") that already has them in it, you create a confusing situation. However, if you use guillemets(«»), you can nest indefinitely. So why don't we all use guillemets?

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Because most people don't know how?
  • On Windows, Linux: Use the US-International keyboard, then AltGr+[ and AltGr+].

On Macs: Option-Backslash and Option-Shift-Backslash
  • edited 2011-01-08 17:01:59
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    They look to some, like you're trying to be generally dickish.

They are a large banner saying LOOK HOW SMART AND INTELLECTUAL I AM. I USE NONSTANDARD PUNCTUATION.

Bit like using Irony Marks.
  • Oh, come on, you're just saying that because Tzetze uses them and he's a massive fucking intellectual(even if he swears a lot in an attempt to seem less intellectual).

I'm not using them to be SMART AND INTELLECTUAL, I'm using them because they have better nesting properties.

I'm sorry you're so intimidated by my ability to change keyboard layouts though.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Tzetze's not an intellectual, Tzetze is crazy.

Anyway, I can't think of a situation in which better nesting properties would outweigh the effort it takes to push the key combination to make them. In my entire life I've run across perhaps two times where quotes were nested more than twice.
  • You act as though those two things are mutually exclusive.

And «the effort it takes to push the key combination to make them» isn't more than the effort it takes to capitalize a letter, and you do that, don't you? And I've quoted things that have quotes in them plenty of times.
  • I don't like how they look. It reminds me of something else non-quotey.
    I suppose that's a point.

This is true.

Still, I just don't like them. They're ugly, that and I kinda feel like they're a fad.
  • It reminds me of emphasis.
    They look more like something that belongs in programming script to me.
    Which, I think that actually makes a lot of sense. A lot of the people I've seen using gullies are programmers.

CONSPIRACY.
  • It makes me think of French, which is always a good thing.
    What? No it isn't.
  • Wikipedia: «Used pointing outwards («like this») to indicate speech in these languages and regions:

French
    ...»
    I meant it's not always a good thing, dear long fellow.
  • I cannot process that sentiment. French is always a good thing :p
    You sound like Blackmoon.

NONE OF YOU UNDERSTAND ;_;
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    I understand that I was awful at French. Does that count?
    I guess.

I don't know.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I must know exactly which keys to press.
  • Tu n'as pas.
    "AltGr+[ and AltGr+]"

What does this mean?

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE USE THESE THINGS?!
  • edited 2011-01-09 14:59:59
    Cue-bey
    Ils ne peut pas.
  • AltGr is the right Alt key when your keyboard layout is set to US International.
    Oh, I see. So it never was on here.