If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I've been "banned" from TV Tropes.

2»

Comments

• BobBob
    edited 2011-06-04 02:04:02
    ^^Most likely the latter. I mean, FE has to be a pretty busy man, it's not like he'd just lurk a thread in hopes that somebody would use a sockpuppet in a way that could be even remotely offensive to someone.

...Or is it?

^I take back what I said, Blackcat isn't cool anymore. >:/
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    (it isn't)
  • Banning sockpuppets bothers me, and here's why: Gelzo now has a completely useless sockpuppet, that (presumably) still counts toward his limit of 10 accounts, but cannot be deleted because he cannot log into it.
  • Whoa what? That counts towards my limit?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Yes. I have a bunch of banned sockpuppets on mine that I can't even delete which is probably why I can almost never log into TV Tropes.
  • edited 2011-06-04 02:15:40
    Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^^ Yeah, it does kinda suck.  That was the time I thought Gelzo might have been banned, remember?

But yeah.

^^ I presume so, sorry.

^ Almost?  If you can sometimes log in, then that's not the reason.
  • Wow. That's kind of a dick move.
  • ... Firstly, why does anyone even need an alt on TVTropes?
    Secondly... what is with the popularity of calling them sockpuppets around here?   That is such a nub thing to call them.
    It's because it's Meta, even though the rest of the internet calls them joke accounts.

Some people want to make Meta jokes with them or roleplay anime characters.
  • You can change. You can.
    Actually, the term sockpuppet is fairly popular. At least, from what I've seen,

• a little muffled
    "Sockpuppet" comes from Wikipedia, I think. It's the usual term on wikis, so it's no surprise it was adopted by the TV Tropes community.
  • edited 2011-06-04 12:21:11
    RE-ANIMATOR
    Ah. A wiki thing.  Meh.   I still personally think it sounds stupid, but then I thought the term "mule" sounded stupid for the same thing the first time I heard that.  Then I realised why it was called that and fridge brilliance set in. O'course I don't tend to think of forum accounts as really being a source of extra inventory space...

... and it still doesn't explain why anyone would have such a thing on a Wiki... really.  Wikis are about the data itself, not whoever is posting it.... fuck.

Forum metajokes I say.

What better way to edit the God Troper Tales than by declaring you are god, or commenting on the IJBM page about Candlejack...as candlejack?
  • a little muffled
    @SotiCoto: To attempt to rig article-for-deletion votes, et cetera.
  • Candlejack was actually a legitimate editor, not a sockpupp
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Y'know how some people find it funny to, say, see someone else saying "you didn't tell me you were bring a secret weapon" get the response "That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario! *wheeze*" said by Mama Luigi himself.

Thus, sockpuppets on an internet forum.
  • NECROOOOO

I was thinking of making a new thread for this, but I figured it would be easier to just bump this thread. Anyway, I'm not sure how it happened, but I managed to log back into my account on TV Tropes. It's weird, I essentially just created the account again except the account was already there (it wasn't deleted, otherwise the avatar would be blanked).

So... yay me, I guess?

• The Get Known system is kind of weird. Multiple people have reported being able to simply do what you did after they were banned.
  • You can change. You can.
    Sometimes ban evasion is as simple as logging in

wheee, security.
  • ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    Not only is the Get Known system weird, so is the account deletion system (which I know is only supposed to be used in a few cases but hold on I'm getting there)

Deleting your account with the deleter does diddly squat other than log you out, clear your cookies (does it even do this?), clear your avatar settings, and free your account up for anyone to just wander into. It does not remove your actual account, nor delete posts or PMs in your inbox.

I know it was intended to be used for deleting sockpuppets, blah blah blah a whole argument nearly started on IRC when I brought it up. But I'd still like to point to this post right here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=12938209340A95028800&page=1#1

The part about accounts not being recoverable is either misinformation or just a straight-up lie.

I know this is about deleted accounts, but I assume bannings have similar gaping holes in them.