If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Can you automatically convince anyone you're sane by claiming you're insane?

edited 2011-06-02 08:44:22 in General
RE-ANIMATOR

Seems pretty standard. Folks got this idea about "sane" and "insane" ... whereby one of the rules is that any member of the latter who claims to be is automatically not.... or something.
And as usual for sane folks, it is completely (perhaps ironically) ridiculous.

BUT USEFUL. Maybe.

Like I could run about with a chainsaw in public and if I say "I'm insane" everyone is all "Oh, he is clearly sane" and just go about their daily business.  Right?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    That's a common misconception. I'll just leave it at that.
  • I'm not sure if i'm mad. not a good judge of that sort of hting.
  • Insanity can't be quantified though....
    I mean really it can't.
    Conditions that people consider to be "insane" might be able to be... but "insanity" itself... not so much. It is just a term that the common masses use to oppress those who think differently.
    If I say "I'm insane" I mean "I think differently".  Others might disagree... they might assume it means I "don't understand the consequences of my actions" .... I'd proclaim instead I understand the consequences of my actions far better than any "sane" person...

Wait... I'm ranting again. Why am I ranting? Damnit.

Ok... insanity is the new green.
  • He who calls himself sane is the truly insane one.

He who calls himself insane is aware of his oddities, and therefore, paradoxically, the truly sane one.
    >_>

<_<

Sanity and insanity do not work that way /Srs bsness. lol
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I am not sane.

Nor am I insane.

I am simply Sakki.
    U MAD?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    U SANE?
  • edited 2011-06-02 10:46:31
    [tɕagɛn]
    Juan: That's because sanity doesn't really exist. Everyone's a little crazy in the end, and denying it has no point.

Sanity is simply the kind of insanity society accepts.
    Juan: That's because sanity doesn't really exist. Everyone's a little crazy in the end, and denying it has no point.
    Sanity is simply the kind of insanity society accepts.

GAH! I'll take the bait:

Quirks are not insanity. Short fuses are not insanity. the shit you think is insane is not insane. I'm sick and tired of all the braggarts who think they know insanity and know shit about it. 

BLARGLE FARGLEnvrn osck, vjekmfc ,sxz
    I am more insane than everyone on this forum.
    Greatest joke you have told yet, Vorpy.
  • There is no insane. There is no sane.
    Folks just think the same as some, different to others.
    And for some reason I'm usually standing alone in this regard... to which I conclude everyone else is just being stupid. Yus.
    ARRRRRRGHHH! I MUSN'T DESTROY THIS THREAD NOR RANT TILL IT FUCKING BLEEDS AND SEE THE BLOOD RUN THROUGH MY HANDS AND DRINK IT WHILE LAUGHING AT YOUR IGNORANT, BLEEDING BODIES!

ARGNvefk c,s.xk ,l.wedsaz

Greatest joke you have told yet, Vorpy.

You wish that was a joke. Nobody even comes close to me. I am the craziest most bipolar slasher here. I kill people, I eat bodies, I rip people apart.

You know? I hate-love you so much sometimes.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, either way, you're still going to be flying missions.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • edited 2011-06-02 12:47:27
    (void)
    Insanity is not a medical term.  It is a legal term.  It means you are psychologically out of control of your actions to the point where you cannot be held legally responsible for them.

«Insanity» in the vernacular is inconsistent in its use, so I'm going to have to ask people who want to use the term what they actually mean by it.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    See, the problem is that if you claim to be insane, then you're clearly fit to fly the plane (after all, would an insane person hand themselves in?). And if you claim to be sane, well, then there's no problem. So it's gonna be tough to sneak out of flying. 
  • Say that you're sane, and it's pretty clear that you're insane, because someone who's really sane realizes that everyone, themselves included, is insane.

Say that you're insane, and you're insane, because only an insane person would label themselves as such.

It's quite simple, really.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    BUT WHAT IF YOU CLAIM TO BE THE SUM OF SIX AND NINETY THREE.
  • Legal term, eh?
    Psychologically out of control of your actions?  So... everyone. Or at least almost everyone. Kinda clear when you notice they're all doing the same things, the same way. For them to all have chosen to do that by no more than coincidence would have been a wee bit of a stretch.

And yet the "insane" status can be assigned to those who know what they're doing, why they're doing it, and fully intended to do it.... just because "it" happens to be unorthodox.
    Kewky.