If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How do I stop behaving like a solipsist?

edited 2011-06-02 04:34:16 in Philosophy
RE-ANIMATOR

I'm rather sure I don't exist in any meaningful sense... but I keep behaving like I do.
Generally I don't have much difficulty dismissing everything else as smoke and mirrors, so to speak, but I seem to still be irreversibly bound to a sense of self which I honestly can't seem to dismiss.
It sorta tends to make me come off as massively egotistical, which isn't really cool with me. I'm trying to play this game properly... in a sense...  but some buried facet of my mind leads me to behave like I'm somehow more real than any of you, which doesn't really make any sense at all. Very silly of me.

So how do I kill my sense of self?

Comments

• Sign yourself up with the Church of Scientology, or any other(preferably cheaper) cult.
  • edited 2011-06-02 04:43:15
    RE-ANIMATOR

I'm trying to destroy it... not assimilate it into some new flavour of silly nonsense.

• Clean your room little Billy
    I don't know the specifics, but I think you have to meditate under some kind of deciduous tree for a decade. Or be the descendent from some widely recognized deity. Bonus points for martyrdom.
  • May I reccomend a bullshit cult that I just made up? The Cult of the Golden Torch.
  • edited 2011-06-02 04:45:03
    RE-ANIMATOR
    Martyrdom?  A martyr for causelessness?  I'd settle for strapping myself to a nuke and setting it off, probably. Show those dirty muslims how suicide bombing should be done.

Tnu... see previous comment.
  • That's horrible Soti!
  • Your opinion has been acknowledged and dismissed.
  • Also if hey didn't want their town to be blown up they shouldn't have built it around a bomb.
  • I'd never do that to Moira Brown. She is SO adorable! ^_^
  • But Moira survives.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Another day, another teenager posting nonsense.
  • edited 2011-06-02 06:45:14
    RE-ANIMATOR
    I know Tnu. That is the point.
    I mean ask yourself this...  If you were living in a mostly wrecked post-apocalyptic world... had by some small mercy come across one of the few secure little communities in said world and set up shop there.... got yourself a few friends and seemed to actually be making a life for yourself again.... and someone then came and blew the joint up with a nuke....
    .... wouldn't you rather die at ground zero than suddenly find that your sanctuary is destroyed, your friends are gone, your security is lost, your hair and skin are sloughing off your body, almost anyone new you come across is going to treat you like a monstrosity or at best a second-class sub-person.... AND you are guaranteed to keep living (witness to a continual cycle of loss) until felled by blunt trauma?

I wouldn't do that to Moira. I just wouldn't. In all my playthroughs of Fallout 3 I've never once nuked Megaton.... and if I was going to, I'd mercy-kill Moira first.

@Bon ... Get with the program. I'm 27. This shit has been covered.
  • edited 2011-06-02 07:00:15
    Wait, why are you asking a bunch of figments of your imagination to help you out?
  • edited 2011-06-02 07:02:12
    RE-ANIMATOR
    ... Wait damnit. Hold on! You're not figments of my imagination because my imagination doesn't exist and therefore can't have figments. You're all nondescript, indirected illusions... which is why I'm asking how to undirect that which seems far too directed when it isn't.
  • Dude, don't ask me. I just regulate appetite.
  • Like this?:
  • Hi! I'm Fargle and I'm going to be your resident Mad Advice Guru for the day!

I see you want to destroy your sense of self. Unfortunately, owing to the fact that having a sense of self is hardwired into how the human brain operates you are left with only two options. 

1: Take the lazy way out and kill yourself. The self cannot maintain itself within non-existence. 

2: Do it the proper, far more entertaining way and invent a new kind of brain. Once your new brain is complete, simply transfer your consciousness* and marvel at how you longer have a sense of self. Or not, depending on how your new brain is wired. 

*Patients are advised that while there is no legal requirement to do so, enlisting the help of a qualified neurosurgeon is highly recommended when attempting to perform brain transfers. 
  • Firstly, suicide isn't the lazy option. Suicide is the champion's option and I have utmost respect for anyone who can succeed at it. I won't ever hear otherwise.  >=(  ... Sadly I'm no champion. I've tried several times, lost manual control of my body, got institutionalised, bullshitted my way out... and have been terrified of trying (or rather failing) ever since.

Your second point though... hmm... if we had the technology for such things you'd probably be onto something. If I could legally get my conscious brain functions transferred over to a synthetic brain without any of those pesky survival-based override systems... it would then be simple to self-terminate, in theory. Well, unless someone pre-programmed said brain to be unable to do so. That would suck massively.

Heh. I used to think I could override all my brain's hardwiring by sheer force of will if I tried hard enough.... Didn't really work out. Figured some day I'd just be able to tell my heart to stop beating and I'd just drop dead on the spot. Fantasized about that for years.  ^_^;;
  • Trust me when I say that there is more chance of Fred Phelps becoming a decent human being than there is of rewiring your brain through sheer force of will. Believe me, I know. I have a LOT of personal experience in that area. 
  • I managed to destroy my ability to feel hunger... and most of my emotions are manually controlled. Most of them.
    But I think I reached my limit.
  • It is possible to override pain as well but that's as far as you can go. 

As for suicide being a Champion's option - No, just no. Suicide is the absolute last resort. Only to be used in cases where the alternative the most horrendous of suffering. (Alzheimers for example)

Sapient life is quite possibly the rarest thing in the Universe. A wondrous, precious miracle of chance and evolution. To throw it away, or terminate it except in the direst of need is truly horrific. 
  • Bah. You've got your perspective. I've got mine:

Your views on suicide are heretical to me... the words of someone who promotes pain, suffering and oppression. A malevolent disregard for quality of experience in favour of brute perpetuation.
    Life is rare, yes... but becomes less rare the more it breeds, and breeding is what it is all about. The singular functionality of that which you consider wondrous and precious is to reduce the very reason you consider it so. Don't you see the absurdity in it?
    I look at life... I think... Yes, it happens, but it has to end. There is no beauty in the unending, and there is only revulsion for that which actively tries continually not to end. And the sooner it does end, the more poignant its brief presence. Every moment longer it drags out cheapens it further and further.

And there we have it. If you can promote your opinion as though it be some sort of objective way of things... well, there is nothing stopping me doing likewise. I acknowledge though that "value" and "worth" are part of the human delusion... the crude and fantastical code by which we excuse our continuation. That the Universe has no opinion nor perspective... no "should" nor "ought"...  but still.

I said before that I didn't want to discuss this.
    I don't want to discuss it because between vitophiles and myself, this topic causes intense dissonance... and I don't like that. I don't like suffering, whether minor or major...

So...
    ... Yeah.
    Pain... I can't override it. Physical hypersensitivity issues probably.
    I react to it strangely sometimes, but it never goes away.

• Solipsism is insane and idiotic. I can see others around. They exist. I exist. They are not figments of my imagination or anything retarded like that.

Philosophy is cool, but sometimes, they go too far and start sounding crazy. Like those guys who wonder if they exist or not. I have three words for them: Cogito, ergo sum.
  • Can you prove this question isn't here?
  • Glaives are better.

Sometimes I wonder if I exist.

Then I man the fuck up and say that if I didn't already exist, I do now. Dico, ergo est.

• No, because it is there. I observe it with my own two eyes, and can rationally analyza the mess of color it is. They resemble sysmbols called letters that idicate phonemes. I can tell that I am being asked a question because of the punctuation.

The question exists. It can't not exist, because I observe that it exists, and I have no evidence against it existing.
  • What are you talking about Chagen? What question?
  • Glaives are better.

Chagen, the reason why the Cogito makes any sense at all is because Descartes wasn't discounting the possibility that everything he experienced was either biased or the product of external meddling. 

• Occam's Razor.

There is the possibility that everything is external meddling, but the much simpler and more concise explanation is "things exist independent of each other".
  • So you're an existentialist?