If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Those people who lick their finger before turning a page...

edited 2011-05-31 05:37:17 in General
RE-ANIMATOR
They're everywhere... and they're disgusting. I want to chop their fingers off and force-feed said digits to them.
Why can't I have a single trip home from work without some foul shitstain performing this heinous act of unashamed depravity right in front of me? Everywhere I turn some fucker is at it...  Makes me nauseous.
I mean damn... I get SO passive aggressive about it sometimes, I'm all standing there and rolling my eyes, frowning and muttering my disapproval under my breath. Sometimes I just make a totally disgusted noise and turn around, but there is usually some other sick shit doing it in the other direction too.

How can they abide it?
HOW?!

Comments

• $80+ per session
    There are germs absolutely everywhere you go, and crawling all over your body whenever you do anything. Sure, you can lower the germ count by washing regularly and all that shit, but the little things like this don't have that much effect, unless you have like diseases or something.
  • Germs? Who said it was about germs? They're abusing the written word by making the pages damp... plus it just LOOKS gross. I couldn't give a fuck less about germs. I pick up food off the floor and eat it.

• Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    It makes it easier to turn the page when your fingers are dry and it's not like we're just slathering on saliva.
  • It isn't difficult to turn a page with dry fingers. Seriously. Not even close to difficult.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It's fairly difficult sometimes.
  • ... What? You get two pages together instead of one? That is what the finger-flicking motion is for. One on the front, one on the back, press, then move them in different directions.
    It is never. Ever. Difficult. To turn. The page.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Sometimes oil/dust/water vapour/whatever gets between pages and sticks them lightly together. You can get multiple pages stuck together; and without some form of suction, it's difficult to pull them apart.
    ^^No, my fingers just don't adhere to the paper to make the page turn, like the natural oil isn't there. Which makes sense since I wash my hands constantly and use a lot of hand sanitizer.
    Or that. I honestly have no idea, that was just a random made-up guess.
  • ... I do hope you don't let your books get into such terrible condition.
    I mean dust is unavoidable, but if anything that makes the pages easier to part. The others though... inexcusable.

In any case, I've never encountered any form of paper reading material that I couldn't dry-part the pages of with a minimal of effort.  Maybe because I take care of my books. Maybe not. I dunno.
    See above posts.
    I care for my books just fine, there is nary a mark on them. You're just over estimating the spit factor like we're using so much spit the thing is going to get excessively damp like we just dumped the things in a lake.

You're also assuming the technique is necessary for every page, sometimes at a certain point the oil in your fingers just go dry after reading awhile.
  • I wash my hands too, and dry them VERY thoroughly...

Actually, I have a theory...

I used to play around with balloons a lot. You know that trick where you rub the balloon on your hair and then stick it to the wall? Well I found that didn't work with some members of my family... like no matter how much they rubbed the balloon it would never stick to anything. And yet I could just give it one quick rub and it would stick to almost any surface.
    Case in point, I typically find that with most light, dry pages... I just have to put my hand near it and the corner will pretty much come up to my fingers itself.

Maybe you guys just don't have the same static charge build-up I have.
  • "Sometimes oil/dust/water vapour/whatever gets between pages and sticks them lightly together. You can get multiple pages stuck together; and without some form of suction, it's difficult to pull them apart."

...I certainly know what you're talking about, but it's never taken me longer than 6 seconds to loosen one of them with dry hands.
    I always tear the pages ;~;
  • Doing this gets you killed, true story.
  • But you won't die, because people don't die when they are killed.
  • They do when they are poisoned by crazy monks.
  • The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
  • I used to think this was a myth.
  • You can change. You can.
    Eh, I find the people who lick the tip of their pencils before writing even weirder...

Seriously, what's up with that?
  • Earlier today I had trouble separating these two pages, so I remembered this thread and licked my fingers to separate them.

• The only time I've ever seen pages stuck together hard enough that just rubbing them opposite directions didn't do the job, it was because they were stuck together with glue  and I had slightly bigger problems than my own manual ineptitude.
  • No rainbow star
    I occasionally have the problem where they refuse to turn and require a light lick on my fingers. This is something like once every few years, however, so...
  • a little muffled
    This only bugs me when they're doing it to my books (which is not a particularly common event).
  • "Eh, I find the people who lick the tip of their pencils before writing even weirder..."

While I don't see a point (heheh, point...) in that, I find people who actually put ink on their tongues to make pens less dry or something more disturbing.
  • Stormtroper... may you lose your limbs and live forever like that. Heathen.
  • I do that. I totally do that. I feel great shame over it, but sometimes it's necessary. And the alternative is dipping your finger in water, which is far more likely to damage the book.

But what I REALLY hate is when I use too much & there's a water stain of shame on the corner of the book. Also if I bleed on it.

• Try rubbing your hand in one direction over your clothing before turning a page.
    I want to see if my static trick can be used by other folk.
    No.