If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That every argument against evolution essentially boils down to this:

edited 2011-05-29 22:09:25 in General
Morgan Freeman is God
"I don't believe in evolution because I don't want to be a monkey's descendant!"

Comments

• This is not true.

Now, mine does, but not all of them do.

Cause i've seen people say they wouldn't want to descend from tigers either.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    I have to disagree there. Most creationists really just feel insulted by the idea that humans are related to apes, and a scientific theory that proves it pisses them off even more.
  • Ed:.....You don't believe in evolution?
  • "scientific theory that proves it"

You're using the word "proof" wrong.

• Isn't the other argument along the lines of "that conflicts with my religion, therefore, you are wrong"?
  • edited 2011-05-29 22:16:53
    Morgan Freeman is God
    ^^So having a metric fuckload of evidence to support the theory of evolution isn't proof?
  • Well it wouldn't be a theory at the point it is proved, so...
  • "Well it wouldn't be a theory at the point it is proved, so..."

You keep using that word.

I do not think you know what it means.
  • Glaives are better.
    Guy, nothing is *proven* in science. Even when something practically unassailable comes along, like Newton's Laws of Motion, scientists are never supposed to discount the possibility that something contrary to them might come along and make them look silly.

Evolution is a theory. That means it's got a shitload of evidence and it's the most commonly accepted explanation for something happening in nature. That doesn't make it divine truth. It just means it's the best explanation.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

"A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true."
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    And by "verified" we mean things like 95% confidence intervals and such.
  • I was about to say i'm getting sick of how the word "theory" is becoming so horribly abused.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Evolution may not be proven, but saying that you don't believe it because you don't like the idea that you're related to monkeys is still stupid.
  • edited 2011-05-29 22:23:46
    Morgan Freeman is God
    And by "verified" we mean things like 95% confidence intervals and such.

That may be true, but calling evolution "only a theory" is still stupid because it ignores things that are nearly proven.
  • oh my god I did something dumb enough for chagen to point it out

I'M A FAILURE AS A PERSON

brb withdrawing human rights
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    "I don't believe in evolution because I don't want to be a monkey's descendant!"

I disagree because I believe that humans existed as they were for millions of years, and neanderthals and the o-monkeys were simply in competition for domination of the world, and they eventually died off because we learned how to make better tools than they did.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah, what Forzare said. The subject is the arguments behind the opposition (Or at least, guy in White's perception of them) not whether evolution is true or false.
  • The word "theory" isn't being abused. It's just that there are different definitions, and some people don't recognize when the context changes the meaning.

And even if something isn't "proven", it's still best to assume that it's true until a theory with better explanatory power comes around. 
  • I don't believe in evolution or creationism because I have a habit of distrusting everything.
  • edited 2011-05-29 22:30:01
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• What do scientists as a whole have to gain from being dishonest? Their entire work centers around discovering accurate information.
  • pretty much though if you can give me a reason such as that person being in a position of power or authority that's good.

Edmania: Fuck. You. There was no error in what I posted.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Can we not make this a tnu thread?
  • edited 2011-05-29 22:38:23
    Tableflipper
    So you trust spellcheckers?

o:<
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 22:30:21
    @Ed: Uncalled for. To be fair, he has been getting better.

@Tnu: Dude, calm down.

Seconding Forzare.
  • "Uncalled for."

"Bob"

ow my head
  • $80+ per session
    Does somebody have a rubber band?

Because OH SNAP
  • Lovely, Ed.

Now, back to the topic at hand.