If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Troper fandom / hatedom

BobBob
edited 2011-05-29 14:59:49 in IJBM meta
First off, this will probably be worded somewhat abrasively (considering I'm the one writing it), so, you've been warned. Second, if this starts a shitstorm, just know that I didn't mean for it to happen.

I hate it that any troper that gains even a modicum of virtual fame develops both of these. Take Scrye for example. It seemed as if people either worshiped him as if he were the second coming of Jesus Christ, or acted as if he were some sociopath that enjoyed eating babies and skinning puppies. There just isn't a middle ground, or it's buried under the more extreme positions (or I'm just missing it somehow). It's as if when a troper develops a distinct personality around the forums, others can't simply see them as just being another troper.

Comments

• $80+ per session
    I concur.
  • The second position is mainly in reaction to the first.
  • You can change. You can.
    I agree wwith this, so much. Especially about Scrye. I wish people didn't make such a big damn deal about him.
  • >others can't simply see them as just being another troper.

What exactly does that imply, that other people can't like them or hate them?

• No. It means that others have a tendency to take that love or hate to unnecessary extremes.
  • The hatedom aren't the ones who constantly bring him up, months after he got banned.
  • Well if you asked me to analyze why people liked him so much, it's because his fans thought that the forum was filled with pussies and, in typical TV Tropes fashion, felt threatened and persecuted by this perceived trend. As such, they rallied around Scrye out of overreaction.

As for why people hated him: well, he was a dick, and a completely tactless dick at that.

Well if you asked me to analyze why people liked him so much, it's because his fans thought that the forum was filled with pussies and, in typical TV Tropes fashion, felt threatened and persecuted by this perceived trend. As such, they rallied around Scrye out of overreaction.

As for why people hated him: well, he was a dick, and a completely tactless dick at that.

So much for non-biased input
  • It's because most people don't give a shit either way. And frankly, what do you expect them to do? just drop by in the relevant discussions and say "I don't care"?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I wish I had a fandom
  • Hey, Komodin does it.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 15:29:19
    Dan: I understand why people liked / disliked him. I interacted with him. This isn't an IJBM about people liking or disliking tropers. It's an IJBM about people always talking about them and never just being able to let go of their feelings to discuss something else when the person is around / brought up. Like, say, if someone here were to be banned, and later on a topic were made about something that only vaguely related to that person (like Scrye and the military) and after a few pages, the thread derailed to half of the posters singing their praises and the other half cursing them

Noim: See above. Also, no, because that solves nothing and it's annoying.
    It's because most people don't give a shit either way. And frankly, what do you expect them to do? just drop by in the relevant discussions and say "I don't care"?

Nup. I just don't like when I see something as obvious, generalizing and general boring post as that.

all I think is that people should let other people be people unless other people are bothering people and then defend from those people that bother them people, you know?
  • I wish I had a hatedom
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I already have a hatedom
  • edited 2011-05-29 15:38:31
    Doesn't have a hatedom, but does butt heads with other tropers on occasion.
  • -just wants a hateful fandom / friendly hatedom-
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    if he were some sociopath that enjoyed eating babies and skinning puppies.

I noticed that too. I mean he wad a dick and I personally didn't like him but come on people, he's just a guy.
    I want to hatefuck you, Bob, does that count?
  • I guess I should elaborate a bit more.

I hate it that any troper that gains even a modicum of virtual fame develops both of these. Take Scrye for example. It seemed as if people either worshiped him as if he were the second coming of Jesus Christ, or acted as if he were some sociopath that enjoyed eating babies and skinning puppies.

This is most obviously wrong. The thing about Scrye isn't that he was popular/famous/whatever, it's that he was polarizing, that's why he had both a fandom and a hatedom. Have you seen a hatedom for Tzetze or Justice? a fandom for tnu?

There just isn't a middle ground, or it's buried under the more extreme positions (or I'm just missing it somehow).

What I said in the previous post, silent majority.

It's as if when a troper develops a distinct personality around the forums, others can't simply see them as just being another troper.

Again, what I said in the first point.

It's an IJBM about people always talking about them and never just being able to let go of their feelings to discuss something else when the person is around / brought up.

This sounds like a pretty big exaggeration, unless you have examples to provide.

• BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 15:51:32
    I'm not just talking about people that have both a fandom and a hatedom. Pick out any troper with a fandom. Seriously, any of them. Now pick out any post by another troper referencing the first troper. Usually, it's just talking about how super awesome and great they are. Same with tropers with hatedoms. Whenever they make a topic, people just shit all over said topic instead of actually commenting on the topic itself.

I get silent minority, but in many cases, I'm not sure you could call it a majority.

I can't think of any examples off of the top of my head, so, sure, label it exaggeration.
  • People have fandoms and hatedoms here? My god, that is a new level of sad.
  • I just feel like saying how awful Beo... 

"I wish I had a hatedom"

Oh, you sneaky bastard!
  • edited 2011-05-29 15:54:22

^^^ What if the kind of person they are reflects on the topic they created? Like if a known misogynist made a topic about women un-ironically staying in the kitchen?

Actually, nevermind.

^^ This is your response to everything, ninjaclown.

• I'm not just talking about people that have both a fandom and a hatedom. Pick out any troper with a fandom. Seriously, any of them.

What is a "troper with a fandom"? You mean someone who's popular like (again) tzetze? if so, go read "post your random thoughts" or Odd Confessions.

Same with tropers with hatedoms. Whenever they make a topic, people just shit all over said topic instead of actually commenting on the topic itself. 

Pot 

• BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 15:56:20
    "What is a "troper with a fandom"? You mean someone who's popular like (again) tzetze? if so, go read "post your random thoughts" or Odd Confessions."

I tend to stay away from such threads. What posts specifically are you referencing?

"Pot"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
  • I tend to stay away from such threads. What posts specifically are you referencing?

Any post in which they have normal conversations without others singing praise/defering to them. Namely, all of them.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Post got cut in half, I meant to say "Pot, kettle, etc."
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 16:02:03
    Okay, so I may have gone overboard with the hyperbole. My bad. Still, it should have been obvious that I wasn't literally talking about every post referencing that person.

So shitposting and disagreeing with someone counts as shitting on a thread now? There should've been a memo or something.
  • So shitposting and disagreeing with someone counts as shitting on a thread now?

shitposting

shitting on a thread

You're right, I don't see the connection.

• Shitposting due to a derail and shitposting in order to tell someone that they made a stupid thread are two different things.