If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mask-making/general cosplay difficulty gripe

edited 2011-05-28 20:21:43 in Meatspace
Has friends besides tanks now
Mom and I (mostly mom, for gathering the materials and whatnot, but I've pitched in ideas) are working on making a mask for my cosplay (I'd really like to know how this one was made, specifically), and it's tough figuring out a good process to make one with available materials that doesn't look like shit. I've found videos/how-to's on how to make this specific mask, and one on how to make masks in general, but none of them looked very good.

Making cosplay outfits is tough. Although the rest of this is coming along swimmingly.

Has anyone done anything like this before, or does anyone have experience with artsy stuff and tips to offer?

Comments

• Sorry for not contributing, but let me just say, thank god all of my cosplay ideas just involved a little hair dye and some specific clothing.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Paper maché around a balloon that is roughly your face size, then balloon removal through popping and decorate?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ I've seen that suggested/done in videos/pictures, but I don't recall liking the results. If I don't have anything good in a few days, it might be worth a try, though. And I don't like paper maché. It tends to look crude, I think.
  • I'm thinking the mask in the photo might be a heavy plastic mold.  If it's one of a kind, I'm impressed, because molds ain't cheap.  It could be cardboard, but I've never seen cardboard that looks that good.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^ Dunno, it depends on whether you smooth it out/consistency of paper used.