If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That I had to make the third thread in this list and set this up

edited 2011-01-31 00:06:53 in General
No rainbow star

Just... You disappoint me, IJAM

Comments

• IJAM is mature enough to not find threadstacking funny. How dissapointing.

• ^That totally sounded like him.

Man, we gotta get Nornagest over here. He's fun, in a unfun way.
  • No rainbow star
    Gah, they didn't even comment on the threadstack! >.>

Also, I really suck at memorizing most tropers. Who's Nornagest again?
  • Guy who is serious most of the time. Has an avatar of a guy with a sword.

Also, as stated (sort-of), IJBM was full of five-year-olds (myself included) who thought that threadstacking and snowcloning were funny. Those people have probably either shaped up or moved to Yack Fest.
  • edited 2011-01-31 04:15:26
    "Who's Nornagest again?"

Have you ever seen The Grinch?
  • Nornagest pisses me off sometimes.

He's like one of those haughty elves.
  • I dislike Nornagest. Though I try not to let this show, as he's apparently one of those tropers everyone's supposed to like.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    He's smart.  He became popular because he was smart.  Also he insinuated that other tropers were idiots, which is always a surefire way to become popular there (no, really).

Lately he's seemed grumpier and less informative than he used to be.
  • edited 2011-01-31 13:08:10
    I don't mind him when he's, you know, just conversing or debating. But he had this habit of going into threads that had always been shitposting/silliness to express annoyance at them, instead of just ignoring threads he doesn't like. Which, personally, I've always found a bit hypocritical, as he hates it when people shitpost in serious threads, but the opposite is somehow better.

But he's been doing that less and less lately, so whatever.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    He's far from the only one who does that.  I agree, it does seem hypocritical.
  • He's far from the only one who does that.

This is true. It annoys me when anyone does it, really.
  • edited 2011-01-31 17:29:11
    I don't mind him when he's, you know, just conversing or debating. But he had this habit of going into threads that had always been shitposting/silliness to express annoyance at them, instead of just ignoring threads he doesn't like. Which, personally, I've always found a bit hypocritical, as he hates it when people shitpost in serious threads, but the opposite is somehow better.

Agreed, except I think his informativeness more than makes up for it.

No way in hell he'll come here (non-forcibly).
  • edited 2011-01-31 17:02:48
    That's my problem, I think. I tend not to hang out in the threads where he shows his informativeness, so most of what I see of him is the part that annoys me.

I know it's not really fair to judge based on that, but it still sorta bothers me.
  • "Also he insinuated that other tropers were idiots, which is always a surefire way to become popular there (no, really)."

Really? I've got to give that a try if I ever go back to TVTropes.

Also, yeah, Nornagest is incredibly smart and knowledgeable, and demonstrates that every time he deigns to do intellectual battle in the discussion threads. The only other tropers who I think are in his league are Tibetan Fox and maybe Desertopa. Unless we count Eliezer Yudkowsky as a troper, in which case he's up there too. That's like, the god tier or something.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm not sure Nornagest is actually knowledgeable or smart; it seems to be an informed ability from what I've seen.  Last I saw of him, he'd simply wade into threads where people were posting very non-seriously and tell people they were being idiots, or facepalm in some way, or something.

Tibetan Fox is loud and often knowledgeable, but not the kind to take corrections easily.
  • edited 2011-01-31 17:56:21
    Yeah, seemingly our views of tropers is tainted by the kind of threads we visit, as I can't picture Tibetan Fox being in Norn's level (no offense meant to the fox). I haven't seen him recently, though.

I'd consider Bon Sequitur comparable.
  • edited 2011-01-31 18:25:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Bon I know mostly as someone who doesn't talk much unless the topic is politics or political philosophy, in which he's an intense leftist with an often acrid tongue.
  • edited 2011-01-31 22:27:34
    "I'm not sure Nornagest is actually knowledgeable or smart; it seems to be an informed ability from what I've seen.  Last I saw of him, he'd simply wade into threads where people were posting very non-seriously and tell people they were being idiots, or facepalm in some way, or something."

Yeah, he's been doing more of that lately, but it isn't hard to find examples of him being knowledgeable and smart as well. Case in point.

As for Tibetan Fox, he used to show off a bit more before the name change, but he still demonstrates his formidable understanding of economics and human behavior from time to time.

Bon, I didn't see much of, and he's banned now, so...
  • Of course, you can be smart and knowledgeable and still fuck up sometimes.

Cases where you can tell someone like this makes a lapse of judgement are oddly comforting to me.
  • Who was Tibetan Fox before? I'm almost as bad with names as I am with faces.

This almost makes me want to post in OTC more, but I'm too slothful.
  • He used to use a different name, it started with a K, but he dropped it because he was apparently being cyber-stalked by some weirdos who wanted to harm him or something.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Longfellow, get on IRC and I'll tell you.
  • ^^ His crazy psycho family, yeah.
  • What, are we no longer allowed to say it? This sounds saucy.
  • Oh, now I remember. K, o, r....right? I never saw him much, but I gather he posts on Yack Fest and OTC a lot.
  • edited 2011-02-03 12:19:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think he was a master of corgis.  A German master, specifically.  Or maybe just of Korg synthesizers.