If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is modern liberalism the closest we will ever get to a free country?

edited 2011-05-25 00:11:24 in Politics
Is this big government system the closest we will ever have where the government controls the economy, interferes with property rights, appeals to the collective will at the expense of the individual and runs through the threat of force is America or Nederland or Denmark the closest we will ever get to a free country? Is it truley impossible ot have a free socieyt and free economy? are we forced in to either left or right if so what is the point to anything?

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Wrong category. Should be in :Politics.
  • Maybe.

Go look for a time machine.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • edited 2011-05-25 00:10:37
    how would a time machine help. Also is it possible for me to changb ethe catagory after posting?
  • Yep. Just go to edit. You'll see the drop down menu that lets you change category.
  • You know the editing system of this forum has to be the best I've ever seen.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, it's definitely better than TVT's.  And while we don't use categories like subforums, they can be used like that...and I don't know of any forum that lets you change the subforum your thread is in after you've posted it, except here.

As for the topic: Whenever you have people using a finite pool of resources--such as space, food, water, shelter, air, wealth, etc.--people cannot be completely free to do whatever they want.  Not to mention that we are constrained by the laws of physics anyway.

I personally feel that in our quest for liberty we should, instead of speaking of "liberty" in a vacuum, be advocating those rights that we can reasonably attain for us and for all our fellow humans.
  • Define attain.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-25 00:19:03
      at·tain

verb /əˈtān/ 
      attained, past participle; attained, past tense; attaining, present participle; attains, 3rd person singular present

1. Succeed in achieving (something that one desires and has worked for)
        • - clarify your objectives and ways of attaining them
        • - he attained the rank of admiral
        • - human beings can attain happiness

2. Reach (a specified age, size, or amount)
        • - dolphins can attain remarkable speeds in water
  • "how would a time machine help."

How would it not help?

Go 37,989 years into the future and see what they're doing. 
  • edited 2011-05-25 00:24:45
    Very funny Bob. At any rate I don't see any sense in attaining rights since rights are inherent in the individual rather then bestowed on the collective. They come from nature not the government or the collective. Rights To Receive seems contradictory.