If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The difference between Religion and Philosophy.

edited 2011-05-24 18:32:09 in Philosophy
You can change. You can.
This is not really a complaining thread. But I thought it might be an interesting discussion for those who care about this kind of stuff.

To you, what's the difference between Religion and Philosophy?

Comments

• There is a difference? Each religion is a type of philosophy.
  • What AHR said. To me, both are a means of one trying to gain a better understanding of the world they inhabit, just through different ways.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    A religion is something you spend time regularly doing worship/whatever- for example, Christians going to Church, or Buddhists going to the wat.

A philosophy is something you think about, but don't actively go anywhere for it.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I know where you got this, Juan.

And philosophy, to me, is a more secularized type of philosophy. It seems to me that religion is more focused on the afterlife, while philosophy is about improving our world and our lives. 
  • You can change. You can.
    I know where you got this, Juan.

Dude...I went in a blinding rage that scared the shit out of people. If you didn't know it's because you weren't paying attention.

Also, there's indeed a difference. While it's true that both religion and philosophy cover metaphysical, physical, epistemological and ontological aspects, religion is also defined by culture and customs. Nihilists don't pray to God after they eat nor do they pray while looking at the Mecca (Sorry if I got that wrong, AHR)

Eh, do philosophies really have cultures and customs?

Besides, most of those cultures and customs originated by celebrating God.
  • JC: You got it right, no worries. 
    Eh, do philosophies really have cultures and customs?

They don't. that's the point.

• To me:

Philosophy: Created by humans completely.

Religion: A philosophy-like ethics/belief system (supposedly) created by some kind of divine being.
  • All religions, Chagy?
  • The main ones (Christianity, Shintoism, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.) all have some kind of divine person/being having some role in the religion.
  • I'd dispute Buddhism, but I'm not Aondeug.
    You forgot Zoroastrianism. I am disappoint.  
  • Middle School taught me Buddhism has no divine being. Make of that what you will.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The closest Buddhism has is Buddha, I think.

Hold on, let me go get Aondeug here.
  • If I remember correctly, Buddhism has no divine being and the Buddha isn't to be viewed as a god, but I may be wrong.
    I don't think Buddha is God, no. He's more Jacob than Jesus. 
  • Buddha still is a rather important figure in Buddhism. He received his philosophy from divine influence, I'm pretty sure.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-05-24 19:01:51
    And fat buddha is his eventual reincarnation.

Chagy: No. From enlightenment. Which is a personal humany thing.
  • edited 2011-05-24 19:04:20
    You can change. You can.
    Religion: A philosophy-like ethics/belief system (supposedly) created by some kind of divine being.

Actually, if you notice, in most religions, it is men who interpret their God's will, not God himself who lays it out loud and clear.

Also, Buddism's metaphysical view of the world doesn't involve Gods so much as personifcations of concepts such as greed and desire.

And Buddha got his philosophy out of years of meditation and philosophizing under a tree.

What makes Buddhism a religion is the fact that it encompasses a culture as well. they have customs, like visiting the wat and tantra sex.
    Okay. I asked Aondeug.

Her answer:

No.

There are Buddhists who do though. Like the Christian Buddhists of the world.

Our gods fall into two main types. Deva and Asura.

Deva live in a realm that one could call Heaven. They are filled with bliss and more or less hardwired to enjoy existence. Deva can give small blessings to other beings or advice. Deva lack empathy because they cannot feel pain

The important thing about Asuras is that they're pricks.

Asura are below Deva in terms of power but above humans. Asura are very prideful beings and often fixated on violence.

They are not necessarily evil, but they aren't nice by and large

Tell an Asura he's wrong and he's likely to shank you.

Where as a Deva would be like "WHOO I AM HAPPY HERE HAVE THIS THING WHEE :D"
    Where as a Deva would be like "WHOO I AM HAPPY HERE HAVE THIS THING WHEE :D"

That's definetly something Aondeug would write. :P
    Well, she did :P
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    A religion is a belief about the universe that falls under the category of "supernatural" (nothing can really actually be supernatural, even God, but the word gives the impression I'm looking for).

A philosophy is simply an ideal/idea about life/how stuff works.