If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Just as a heads-up: Cygan and I are mods now.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Sounds easy enough. But then consider that people don't like it when you do it...
  • I think I would make an ok mod.

I can turn off my irresponsible-shitposter mode, it's just that as of yet I don't have a reason to.
  • You can change. You can.
     lock/delete when it is too late.

No, this shouldn't happen. Ever. Only lock when you can see a shitstorm coming. We should be preventive, not reactive.

/Opinion that is probably not worthy of attention.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-23 21:55:16
    ^^^^Eh, doesn't sound like a hassle to me.

^^^If you do warn them before hand, they shouldn't be surprised when it happens.
  • edited 2011-05-23 21:55:39
    La vie en rose
    ^^^^ If anyone gives you guys grief, just tell them Longfellow told you to do it :p
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @Juan: But what if the storm's already happened and no one's stopped it yet? Or here's a better question: what do you define as "too late"?
  • When it's "too late" you should still lock or delete or do what you can to stop the shitstorm from continuing. It's good, of course, to prevent shitstorms from happening in the first place (see f. ex. this thread)
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    "Too late" is when nastiness is being thrown around.

Anyway, school now, will be back in a few hours.
  • Later, Cygan.

Also, isn't it usually good to leave a comment about why the thread's being locked before doing it? I mean, I know it's an obvious question, but... yeah.
  • edited 2011-05-23 22:04:57
    La vie en rose
    Sometimes it's really fucking obvious why a thread's being locked. But yeah, leaving a comment before closing is nice.

My comment was edited over when one of the mods was testing editing in a locked thread. It was something like "Chagen is fine. Locked." Maybe I shouldn't be so terse in the future, though I thought in this case it was pretty clear the thread wasn't heading in a good direction.
  • edited 2011-05-23 22:05:26
    Has friends besides tanks now
    See ya, Cygs.

And I agree with that definition of "too late".

^^ Well, when possible, I'll hop in with a quick "guys, not cool", or something to that effect, if I can see a storm creeping up but if civility and basic decency can be restored. But if it's really obvious (like, say, a Chagenthread) why a thread's being locked, because it's that full of crap and because this has happened so many times before, I was thinking just hopping in with a "Nope" before locking it would work.
  • edited 2011-05-23 22:07:09
    You can change. You can.
    But what if the storm's already happened and no one's stopped it yet?

Well, you stop it, of course, but in an idealistic scenario, you shouldn't stop an ongoing shitstorm, you should be stopping an oncoming shitstorm...I'm resisting a proctologist Doctor joke so much right now

Or here's a better question: what do you define as "too late"?

When personal attacks are going all around, when a derail doesn't contribute to the main theme of the thread (Of course, some exceptions are allowed depending on the derail) when the thread is doing nothing but causing more drama that will keep following into other threads, etc etc.

@Everest: I'd prefer if we'd always got a justification for an action. this is because if the mods start acting terse and mysterious-like, they become disconnected from the userbase, and we don't want that. all that creates is bile and general lack of trusting.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-23 22:06:13
    ^^See, even something like "nope" seems better than nothing to me. For some reason, locking a thread without saying anything just seems weird to me. :/
  • edited 2011-05-23 22:07:59
    "in an idealistic scenario, you shouldn't stop an ongoing shitstorm, you should be stopping an oncoming shitstorm"

Well, that can't always be the case. For example, apparently, a little while ago, a bunch of the mods were away and something happened, I guess. I haven't been keeping up-to-date the last few days because I didn't bring my laptop to Ohio.

"When personal attacks are going all around, when a derail doesn't contribute to the main theme of the thread (Of course, some exceptions are allowed depending on the derail) when the thread is doing nothing but causing more drama that will keep following into other threads, etc etc."

That, I agree with you on.

^ I know, right?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Re taking your laptop to Ohio: well, I hope that having more mods will allow us mods to have to cover less ground individually.
    Well, that can't always be the case.

That's why I said "Idealistic" scenario. 
    And I was trying to say that idealistic scenarios are few and far between, and should not be expected.
  • Technically, the idealistic scenario would involve everyone getting along perfectly and no one start shitstorms at all, but... yeah.

I'll shut up now.
    "Maybe I shouldn't be so terse in the future, though I thought in this case it was pretty clear the thread wasn't heading in a good direction."

I don't see what's wrong with terseness, if it's that obvious. It's not like people don't know what they're doing in those threads.
    And I was trying to say that idealistic scenarios are few and far between, and should not be expected.

I mean, an idealistic scenario where a mod is on and he's seeing...say...X troper lashing out against Y troper in a post, or a bad OP that's obviously flamebait/trolling as well as obvious seeing foresight. That one is the most important. If you can see a shitstorm coming, then lock the thread. Simple, really. 

That's an idealistic scenario. At least, relatively speaking.

Also: and should not be expected.

But they should be enabled. And they are enabled through good moderation. 

• edited 2011-05-23 22:46:44
    Aaaaah. I get what you mean now.

I do hope that having more mods will discourage people from misbehaving in and of itself, though, and I'll do my best to nip problems in the bud.
  • ...So, not to be annoying or anything, but, is there a chance I could be a mod?
  • I keep reading this as "Chagen and me are now mods".

I'm not sure of my potential modding ability. I may be kinda agressive personally, but I think I could do it.

Not that I'm asking for such a position--I'm too lazy and inconsistent to be a useful mod.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    We're not currently soliciting moderation help.  Thank you for your interest.
  • Ah. Okay. Thank you.
  • edited 2011-05-23 23:58:42
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "Forzare as a mod would scare me."

Not as much as ME being a mod should...

• edited 2011-05-24 01:36:05
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Edit my post, new mods.

Okay. -Cygan
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    NO TMA, I AM THE MOST TERRIFYING MOD

DO NOT TAKE THAT DISTINCTION AWAY FROM ME
  • edited 2011-05-24 00:28:11
    a little muffled
    This reminds me of when I found out there was a Paris in Texas.

Or a London in Ontario.

There's a Paris in Ontario too.
    So you're telling me there's a Paris in London in Ontario?
This discussion has been closed.