If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

edited 2011-05-23 01:56:22 in Meatspace
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
Here's the story for those who want to read it.

Basically, some 15 year old kid thought it would be a good idea to go to a concert and drink an alcohol called 4 Loko. He was so intoxicated the concert staff called his parents to get him. Once his parents got him home, he ran away and down the street where he then got hit by a car and killed. Now the parents are suing the company that makes 4 Loko because of it. They say it's because "the fruity flavors encourage underage drinking".

Okay, seriously? Margaritas are fruity. Daquaris are fruity. There's plenty of fruity drinks out there, they just aren't already in a can. Should all fruity mixed drinks be banned because they "encourage underage drinking"? Plus, obviously since he's 15 he didn't buy it for himself. Why aren't the parents trying to find out who bought it for him? That would make a LOT more sense to me.

What I want to know is this- What on Earth has happened to personal responsibility? I get that the parents don't want to accept that their precious son did something stupid that got him killed, but to go so far as to sue the company and say it's their fault? It's like those people that spilled hot coffee on themselves and got burned, and sued the restaurant because the coffee was hot.

My questions:

- Do you think the parents are justified in suing the company? Why or why not?
- Who SHOULD they parents sue, if anybody?

EDIT: It's not clear whether or not he got the alcohol at the concert or got it elsewhere then snuck it in. That also means they don't know if somebody sold it directly to him or if somebody of age bought it for him and gave it to him. Also, new question added.

Comments

• Parents should an hero nao, son already set a good example of clearing the gene pool.
  • That fucking coffee story, coffee should not give you third degree burns in an instant, why do people keep bringing it up
  • edited 2011-05-23 07:09:19
    >You are now leaving Gaia Online

I can't think of a single argument in favor of banning 4 Loko that wouldn't apply to any alcoholic beverage that tastes good or comes in a can.

• edited 2011-05-23 07:13:39
    That fucking coffee story, coffee should not give you third degree burns in an instant, why do people keep bringing it up

Yeah, it bothers me too.

About the OP, I can't see how suing the company makes sense.