If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"You should respect others' opinions."

edited 2011-05-21 23:35:01 in General
Morgan Freeman is God
This mindset confuses me just a little bit.

I understand that you shouldn't get into big fights because of small differences in opinion, but how exactly can I respect an opinion that's different from mine if it makes me so angry?

Comments

• I think what these people are referring to IS the "angry" part.

-doesn't necessarily believe in this idea myself-

• I think it means that you shouldn't put other's opinions below your own in terms of value.

Not that most people even follow this anyway though, at least not completely.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I think it means that you shouldn't put other's opinions below your own in terms of value.

But what is the value of an opinion you think is bad?
  • If you're following it, which many people don't of course...  other people's opinions shouldn't be making you angry in the first place.  If you disagree, you're just supposed to acknowledge that you disagree and that other people are entitled to their opinion exactly as much as you are.  Doesn't mean you can't necessarily argue with them to try to get them to change their opinion, but you definitely should accept that they have the right to hold that opinion, even if you don't like it.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    What compels a person to address an opinion they think is wrong? Is this an acquired behavior?
  • edited 2011-05-22 00:30:41
    You can change. You can.
    You should respect other people's opinions. this is: When someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean that the person who is disagreeing ith you is inferior nor his opinion is inferior, no matter how far fetched this is.

However, this kinda fails as...well, apart from matters like arts/media where everything can and will be appreciated by a different set of people with a different set of values, most matters can have...some sort of wrong opinion. Like nazism in politics, to go the godwin's way...

^ It's because when it comes to a discussion, you can address A) the argument B) the opinion and/or C) the person.

The third one is ad hominem, which is considered both rude and a phallaceous way of debating (You are a dick, therefore you are wrong)

the second one is the core and the base of what your opponent is saying. If you manage to disprove it, then you disprove all his arguments and you win the discussion.

Of course, to ge to disprove the "opinion" you have to disprove the arguments...
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Basically, I think the message is, "Be the better person and don't be an ass."
  • edited 2011-05-22 01:27:51
    Tableflipper
    ...wouldn't being the "better" person contradict the point? Unless you don't think the opinions themselves matter in this situation, which would make this an even worse life lesson name than usual.