If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People inevitably think about sex when thinking about romance

edited 2011-05-20 14:38:39 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
This bugs me.

A lot.

What happened to the idea of boy and girl being all lovey-dovey and cute and adorable hanging out with and cuddling with each other?

Comments

• One doesn't preclude the other.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I don't always associate the two, but a non platonic relationship will usually involve sexual activities.
    I like the hanging out adorable stuff.
  • Glaives are better.
    GMH, you don't know how horrifying lovey-doveyness can be.

I've got a friend, and he and his girlfriend are... not all that attractive. All they do when in the company of others is poke each other, giggle and make out.

It's disgusting. It really is.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Yeah, how horrible they show genuine affection for one another. Insensitive cocksuckers. 
  • Have you ever had to work in a room with a particularly affectionate couple? It's unbelievably annoying. The burden is on them, the more mobile party, to not be annoying, not on everyone else to put up with annoyance.
  • As it stands, most romance involves sex, so it's a natural association to make. Also, affectionate couples are among the most awkward people to be around, in any environment.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Okay, I'll admit I didn't think of that.

Though that would be me distinguishing between on one hand, an idealistic perspective on romance, and on the other, public displays of affection (which may or may not be linked to such a perspective).
  • Glaives are better.
    Here's what's acceptable in my mind:
    * Hugging
    * A gentle kiss upon greeting each other or leaving
    * Holding hands under the table

That's it. No poking, giggle-squeeing, making out or any of that shit. You can be romantic without derailing a conversation and making yourselves the center of attention.
  • Unless you're asexual, a romantic relationship generally involves sex or is expected to involve sex at some point down the line. So... yeah.
  • edited 2011-05-20 18:58:43
    Tableflipper
    "What happened to the idea of boy and girl being all lovey-dovey and cute and adorable hanging out with and cuddling with each other?"

I believe this idea came after the "sex = romantic love" thing, and i've only ever seen it applied to children.
  • I like public displays of affection :]. That said, if you're with a group and you're socializing, it's polite to include everyone in the conversation and to engage in the group's chatter. It's not the time to be cuddling.

As for the OP, I'm of a similar romantic mind. I could giggle and cuddle and gaze into her eyes and kiss her all day. Makes me feel like a teen in puppy-love again. There's a sexual dimension too and one kind of affection can turn into or blend with the other, but even a purely affectionate exchange leaves me really happy :)
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think a overly-physical couple is one of the most awkward things I'n the world to be around.