If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

School schedule conflicts

edited 2011-05-18 17:43:33 in Meatspace
Has friends besides tanks now
For next year's schedule, I had to make a choice between AP Calculus and Wind Ensemble. Right now, I'm signed up for Calculus, but I'm having my doubts and I've had a lot to think about.

Can I get some opinions without having to provide further context: which seems like a better idea (be it due to your own personal preference, or the practicality of it, or what): Band or Calculus?

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Band, assuming your future job won't involve too much maths.
    As musical instruments and the ability to play them is always a great thing to have

• edited 2011-05-18 17:59:13
    I should have clarified, but I asked partly because math is generally one of my strong suits and I was thinking about majoring in something involving math.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Ah well (majoring is like a degree right?) if you intend to do that I'd go with maths, music can then be your hobby.
  • Higher math is essential for a lot of degrees such as Engineering.
  • When I was a senior in high school I tried juggling choir and AP Physics at the same time, to....some success. I did well on the AP tests but I did not learn the material very well.

I can't tell you what's best, as I don't know how much you enjoy math or are serious about using math in the future. Doing AP Calc (especially BC) should put you ahead in college, so I'd tentatively recommend that....but if music's a passion and math is merely a talent, maybe you should enjoy yourself while you can. It's hard to join ensembles after school.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: Being talented in both.
  • a little muffled
    Math is superior, obv.

I have no idea how American math courses work, though, so I dunno what's in that one. Something involving calculus, I assume.
  • There are two AP Calculus tests, and high schools that offer courses on them will either cater to the basic AB test or the more rigorous BC test.

AB introduces you to derivatives and integrals. BC covers the basics but also explores more of the uses and tools of basic calculus, stuff like Taylor series and integration by parts and using calculus with parametric equations.
  • edited 2011-05-18 21:45:32
    I found out from my mom that if I don't continue band through senior year, I might negate anywhere from a $1000 to $2000 dollar scholarship.

IJBM: Guidance counselors/schedulers. Thanks for screwing me over, Mrs. [REDACTED].

I'll see about fitting a different class in in place of AP World History so I can have a different block, where they might have AP Calc or something. Or maybe I can take it online, at the very worst.

Or I could do Concert Band, as in the lower-lever band, but that's just agonizing.