If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Failbook

edited 2011-05-18 06:19:32 in Webspace
Diet NEET
Yes, meknows thread title ain't witty. But both the app addicts and the snobs who go out of their way to point out that they're never going to make an account ever miss the point that it's a useful tool for organizing stuff in meatspace. Even on the front of privacy you're in control yourself(you can even control how others tag you, nevermind that it's hidden behind obfuscating menus): stop blaming the medium for its idiotic users.

Comments

• I've been thinking about making an account precisely for this reason.

Anything I should know beforehand?
  • Common sense stuff: turn off all game apps the moment you spot them, only add people you actually know in meatspace(or plan to get to know better), actually look at the privacy settings beforehand so that you can set it to a level you're comfortable with.

Something I find handy: you can invite people for events even if they don't have a FB account because there's an email invite option. For larger public events, it helps to tack on a meeting time and location with the invitation, because it will probably get snowed under if you place it on the event's Wall.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Just go into the privacy options and read what they mean and then set it to how you want.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^^^ Well, it certainly is enabling them.
  • Aww, no internet friends? But that's where all the weirdos interesting people are.
  • All my actual friends are internet people, with internet names, cause we're all nerds.
  • edited 2011-05-18 17:44:57
    I agree, it's so trivial and effortless to keep an account that I can barely see a point in not having one.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Also you can watch people you've never liked from childhood have mental breakdowns/huge arguments with spouses.

That'll teach them to not be someone I like.
  • Get to know more weirdos in meatspace. They're out there, hidden in plain sight.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    ^^ You can also watch people you actually do like turn into snarling, incoherent troglodytes in ways you'd never imagine. That sinking feeling in your stomach is your dwindling innocence having it's arms broken. Or possibly it's porridge.