If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why do all the Hetalia characters look the same?

edited 2011-01-24 17:03:37 in Media
Kichigai birthday!!

Comments

• Because bishies.

Also: identical
  • Because the artist is effing terrible.
  • edited 2011-01-24 16:29:16
    Kichigai birthday!!
    ZUN is a used to be a bad artist too and you can tell the Touhous apart.
  • edited 2011-01-24 16:39:18
    (void)
    Because the one aspect of art that ZUN is good at is making distinguishable characters.

(And the good art in Touhou games, i.e. Fairy Wars and the fighters, is the art by someone other than ZUN)
  • edited 2011-01-24 16:46:39
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I think he got decent by UFO
  • Because there are only six faces and one body type.
  • Yeah, actually, UFO's art isn't as bad as we've come to expect from ZUN.
  • :/

Just because it's not copypasted Anime style, people say ZUN's art is bad?

Marisa was fine the way she was god damn it
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    For the record, I thin ZUN's art is fucking great.

That's why this image is the greatest Touhou fan art ever
  • The only ones I recognize are Marisa (witchhat girl) and Alice (due to BlackDove)
  • Even you can't claim that ZUN art doesn't suck, Tnoph.
  • edited 2011-02-03 18:46:45
    ...wait, I can't? I'm confused...I thought ZUN's work is good.

The reason I say that is because I only KNOW about Marisa and Alice.
  • I think it's okay...
  • Either way, Hetalia is the sonichu of anime and manga.
  • edited 2011-02-16 09:43:49
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Because it deals, in rather analogy-filled fashion, mostly with politics (even though 89% of the fans would never notice this, because they are too busy ogling at the Ho Yay). And politics of all countries are the same. Horrible. Of course, there are differences, like different forms of government, which is symbolized by smaller differences in appearance, like hairstyle/color or clothing. But all of them are horrible, which is why the characters/countries look the same.

Yes, I just pulled that out of my ass.

Also, this was the fastest Touhou derail, I ever saw.
  • (even though 89% of the fans would never notice this, because they are too busy ogling at the Ho Yay)

Not completely true. While it is a fact that HoYay is the only thing that makes Hetalia notable, the fans generally will be under the mistaken impression that they're learning about history and politics from it.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Very mistaken.
  • edited 2011-02-16 11:32:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, a few are learning some country names they might not have known if they were really bad at geography.

That counts, right?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    They probably spell the names wrong.
  • Actually, I dunno about even learning country names.

Hetalia fans also do this weird thing where they only ever use the "human names" for countries, which seems to be a pretty good way of ignoring the premise of the show.
    ... What.
  • edited 2011-02-16 11:40:29
    Yeah.  See, the guy who wrote the manga decided to give names to all the countries (like, other than just... the name of the country).  For instance, America is Alfred F. Jones.  I think he stopped doing it at some point, but regardless, fans liked the names I guess...

A lot of the time, fans only ever use those names.

Even though the whole point of the show/comic is that the characters are countries.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    O.o

It's worse than I thought...
  • That was how I felt when I learned that too...
    Um.

So they're running around thinking they live in Alfred?
    -headdesks. Headdesks harder than he's ever headdesked-
  • edited 2011-02-16 11:45:14
    Er... that's not quite what I mean...  I'm pretty sure Hetalia fans know that countries aren't really people...

But I mean in fanfiction and stuff, people use the human names a lot.
    Yeah, I know what you meant. I was just taking it to the logical extreme.

I guess the percentage of people who treat it as a historical source may actually be smaller than the percentage of people who read it as a story?
  • Well, definitely.  I don't think (or, I hope not anyway) that any people seriously treat it as a serious way of learning about history.  (Okay, I'm sure some people do, but... hopefully not a lot... :/)  But a lot of fans still do pick up random out-of-context bits of historical trivia and act like that counts as knowing about history.

But yeah, most of them treat it as just a comedy/HoYay story...
    I like knowing historical trivia, but I don't pretend to know history.