If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Band volume dynamics

edited 2011-05-15 19:02:47 in Meatspace
Has friends besides tanks now
I play the clarinet in my school's wind ensemble, and I'm one of four. Naturally, balance is going to be shifty anyway, but I feel like my case is more dire because, at my loudest, I'm louder than the other three put together. Not that I'm as loud as a trumpeter at their loudest, that's for certain, but louder than the other clarinets by half.

I can play softer when the section in the music calls for it, of course, and I can go pretty damn soft like I'm supposed to, but I'm a little annoyed because, for the most part when there's a dynamic quandary, the clarinets are going to be told that they aren't playing loud enough, rather than that they're playing too loud, which would point in my favor, but if I do go that far, I drown them out, which is obviously bad. Now if it's fortissimo, I go balls out like I'm supposed to, and feel no shame if they can't keep up because I'm going to be drowned out by the trumpets and other brass anyway, but if I'm too assertive on mezzo forte or forte, even if I'm doing it right, it's noticeable.

The annoying part is just the idea that I have to hold back for the sake of the others' shortcomings.