If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Consumerism

edited 2011-05-15 13:56:30 in Philosophy
I always had trouble understanding the idea of gaining satisfaction through material goods. I could see it if people just had a few things they would cherish for life, but too often, it seems people just get temporary satisfaction from something and then throw it away. And because there's a void of unfulfilled desire left over, they just try to find other material goods to fill it. It seems like an endless cycle.

Comments

• Gotta get more clothes
  • Material goods always fulfill a purpose. The moment they stop serving a purpose or are not worthy cost/benefit-wise, you've reached consumerism.
  • I always had trouble understanding the idea of gaining satisfaction through material goods.

What do you gain satsifaction from, then?

• Get a dog, you freak.
  • Because people like spending money.

I love the feeling of spending money and owning material possessions. They can be used to increase my living conditions and entertain me.
  • edited 2011-05-15 15:25:40
    Conversely, I love the feeling of burning money and posting about it on the internet. It really increases my living conditions, if you know what I mean.
  • edited 2011-05-15 16:35:32
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm,

I always had trouble understanding the idea of gaining satisfaction
    through material goods. I could see it if people just had a few things
    they would cherish for life, but too often, it seems people just get
    temporary satisfaction from something and then throw it away. And
    because there's a void of unfulfilled desire left over, they just try to
    find other material goods to fill it. It seems like an endless cycle.

I think you make a very good point and I agree, but I also think that the problem you mention can apply to many other things. I would mention the use of recreational drugs and binge drinking as two examples, but I can understand if you might disagree with that.

Still, unless you can find a lasting sense of pleasure from something, it seems to me that you will always struggle with the reality of your satisfaction not meeting your expectations of it. I guess the question is what one should do to find that kind of lasting fulfillment.

I do not think there is really a clear answer to that though I hear that some at least come close to that feeling through helping others, having tight-knit relationships with pets, friends, or family, or having some great passion in life. Sorry, I am not so sure how one is really able to do any of those things though.

Another possible solution may be to think more simply and try to lower one's expectations. Depending on one's personality, I think that can be significantly easier than trying to find a lasting source of pleasure and such.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I enjoy objects because of ownership and material worth. You can't sell humans (yet) so I generally value goods and produce over people when it comes to material worth rather than personal worth.
  • edited 2011-05-15 18:56:21

"Another possible solution may be to think more simply and try to lower one's expectations. Depending on one's personality, I think that can be significantly easier than trying to find a lasting source of pleasure and such."

That does happen to be the basis of many world religions. Buddhism in particular comes to mind with the goal of reaching a state of no desire.

Yeah, I see that it's not just consumerism that has the problem of never being truly fulfilling. From your examples, it seems that people that have a fulfilling life have found a purpose to live for, which is not easy to find in an uncertain world.

• Clean your room little Billy
    Aah, but you you can buy things like books and music, which you take in and use to enhance your own ideas. People are frequently wasteful with their money, but I don't believe asceticism is always best.
  • I like consumerism because I like to be entertained and improve my quality of life, as I said. Obviously, living a "MORE MORE MORE" life is depressing and self-destructive, but is is really that bad to want that shiny new laptop?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yes, it is.
  • Necroing as I've thought of another perspective regarding this topic. I often get the impression that it's not so much the material cost that people find value in as it is the abstract ideas and emotions associated with them. People only buy high-priced items for the sake of them being high-priced because they are told in a sense that they are more special and important. But then there are things like family heirlooms which can't sell for much, but have a high emotional value. And the aforementioned media, which has value to a person transcending however much they paid for it.

But then I'm still perplexed at people taking the extravagance route as it implies that the emotional value of each object depreciates too quickly for them.

• edited 2011-10-19 20:20:33
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm,
    But then I'm still perplexed at people taking the extravagance route as it implies that the emotional value of each object depreciates too quickly for them.

Yeah, I have some of the same issues understanding that mindset. I mean, I know part of it is just related to wanting to look rich and such in a world where money does give one a certain amount of power. Yet, that kind of vanity just seems so empty to me.

I can understand wanting the better quality stuff that one normally needs more money to afford (i.e. the best healthcare, the safest car(s), the nicest schools for either one's kids or oneself, the highest quality food etc.), but I think a lot of luxury stuff just does not have much utility and thus is kind of silly to desire.

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    People only buy high-priced items for the sake of them being high-priced
    because they are told in a sense that they are more special and
    important. But then there are things like family heirlooms which can't
    sell for much, but have a high emotional value.

Ergo, Veblen goods?
  • Well, so there's a term for it. Yeah, I don't get it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, looking good socially by having genuine-material jewelry on you is a benefit that some people value more than others.

The thing with consumerism is that no one engages in consumerism itself.  No one goes to the store thinking "I'm gonna buy more stuff today for the heck of it".  It's always about the incremental increase in personal living comfort or convenience or some other value that drives each purchase.

Unfortunately, economies are driven largely by people spending money to buy goods and services.  However, it does sound funny when you think about it as consumerism, which is why people were like "lolwut" when George W. Bush told people shortly after 9/11 to go out and spend money--he was right in observing that that would help get the economy going again after that little slump, but it sounded really lame.
  • Interesting perspective on how the recent riots were partly rooted in consumerism:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/2011/08/19/slavoj-zizek/shoplifters-of-the-world-unite